Do your teens have jobs yet?

Babysitting
Paper route
Mowing lawns/scooping snow
Fast food

Did you have a job as a teen?

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 5:55 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• My son worked at Chucky Cheese at age 15 bc I didn't get child support and he had to help me with the bills. (his choice, not my command) My oldest daughter began working for the tax collector's office at 16. She had a child so had to pay her expenses at home as well as for the child. My youngest child went to college but didn't work as a teen. So I guess school was her job!

Answer by admckenzie at 10:47 AM on May. 15, 2009

• My sons started working at age 14. They were bag boys at the grocery store. One of them also did some minor job at scout camp.

I babysat from the time I was 13.

My husband had a paper route from the time he was 12.

Answer by Bmat at 5:58 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I worked as a teen on my uncles berry farms....Now, he only hires mexicans to work, so my boys are out of luck.
    My teen boys work for me as assistants in my daycare and one son has a 2 day/week babysitting job for a couple of school-aged boys.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 5:59 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I had my first babysitting job at 11yrs old.
    I had my first real job at KFC when i was 16.

My children are not old enough to have jobs yet. (they are 4 and 3. lol)
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:59 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I worked in a retail store at the mall when i was 15 and i worked in a legal office doing paperwork and stuff when i was 16 by the time i graduated high school at 17 i joined the army.

my husband worked on base (he was an army brat) when he was 14 and has had a job ever since. hes parents made him give then half his paycheck and they put it into savings and gave it back to him when he moved out and joined the army himself its a good thing to do to help your kids pay for their first car or appartment when they are on their own. wish my parents did that.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 6:01 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I started babysitting at 14

My oldest started a paper route at 13--at 16 was hired at a grocery store

My 2nd oldest took over the paper route at 14

the younger children 5 and 7 years old sub on the paper route (with mom or dad of coarse)

husband started working at 14 in a family restaurant
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 6:25 PM on May. 14, 2009

• My 13 year old is a Red Cross certified babysitter. She has three families she sits for regularly. She gets paid $7 an hour; have of the money goes to her savings account and half she is allowed to spend (on things her mean parents won't buy her, like an ipod, digital camera, and $50 juicy shorts that she stained the first time she wore them).

Answer by rkoloms at 8:06 PM on May. 14, 2009

• No my teen does not have a job and at this point a job is not in her future until she is able to improve her grades. When she is able to use her time wisely and do her homework without taking all night, then she can get a job.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 11:57 AM on May. 15, 2009

• i worked from age 13. at age 13 i was babysitting age14 i worked at the roll arena age 16 i worked at the roll arena and sears picture studio and at age 17 i worked at pizzahut and deals. and i still went to school and had good grades.
    aidensmommy18_2

Answer by aidensmommy18_2 at 2:11 PM on May. 15, 2009

• My son began working as a carry out boy at the grocery store at age 15, he's now 17 and has two years of work experience at the same place. I think that is a good start to teaching the importance of a good work ethic. I had a summer job from age 13 babysitting and babysat in the school year from time to time as well.
    rober

Answer by rober at 6:38 PM on May. 15, 2009