If your (adult) kids still live with you...do they pay rent to you in some way shape or form?

I lived "at home" till I was 24...never payed rent to Ma&Pa...and in my late 20s I suffered because of it.

If our kids are still "at home" after they turn 19 (age of Majority in NE) they will be paying some form of "rent" be it $$$ or in trade/chores/duties.

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 5:59 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• Hell yeah, my rules after they move out & want to come back home is.
    1. Dont come home w/out a job & Do NOT ask me for any $$$$. (I am not the local atm)
    2. My house is not your personal trash can, you better pick up after yourself or whatever is left in my sight will be tossed in the garbage(clothes,important papers, ect.)
    3. They will have chores,like clean the dishes, sweep, mop, dust, ect)
    4.They will have a time limit also, they must be in the house no l8r than midnight, if they come home 1 min after they can sleep in their car or somewhere else becouse I'm lockin the door.
    5.Dont invade my personal time or think you can have your friends in my house while I'm gone or have them come over at all hrs of the day/night.
    6. These are my rules & if they dont like it then dont bother comming home.
    witch_e_woman

Answer by witch_e_woman at 12:21 PM on May. 16, 2009

• My parents gave me 1 year after graduation. After that I had to pay a minimal rate for room and board. I got free meals and my laundry was done for me and I got to use all the 'extras' like toothpaste and soap at no extra charge. I thought is was horrible then - but later I realized how lucky I was because it was a MUCH cheaper rate than moving out on my own.
    Stacie2261

Answer by Stacie2261 at 6:03 PM on May. 14, 2009

• In my family if you are not going to school full time with passing grades then you would have to pay rent. And you had 2 months from the time of high school graduation to get a job to start paying. Their trick is you pay rent but when you leave you get it all back. This way its like a savings that they dont know about. So when they need to get a car they will have some money saved up or that would help them pay for the first months rent when they first get their place. I never had to pay my parents because i joined the army at 17 so i was already out of the hosue lol.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 6:05 PM on May. 14, 2009

• My parent's rule was as long as you're a full time college student, you don't have to pay rent. You still have to help out with the house, but no rent. We all moved out at graduation if not before then. My oldest brother did move back in for a very short time while he was applying to law school, but he didn't turn out his lights and my mother took the light bulbs from his room... so he didn't stay long. I suppose if my children try to stay at home beyond college, I'll charge them rent.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 6:16 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I don't have an adult child yet. But I think I will charge them a small rate and just save it all for them. So that when they do move out, they have a few extra hundred bucks that they didn't know they had. I don't think I would use that money anyway else. They lived here rent free for 18 years...whats a few extra. lol
    erinkoeser616

Answer by erinkoeser616 at 11:08 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Mine helps with utilities bills instead of rent. Some months its more than others. He doesnt complain,he could have it a whole heckuva lot worse..lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I paid my parents rent, even though I only lived there a month after graduation. I had very little income but paid them a fair rent, for my own dignity, and because I felt that it was only right for everyone living in a household to help support it. I continued to do my regular chores toward running the household also- cleaning, laundry, dishes, etc. My sons did live with us off and on after they graduated, but it was temporary, so we didn't ask for rent. They continued to do their household chores. If it had been a more permanent arrangement, they would have been expected to pay rent or contribute toward household expenses. My sons had jobs from the time they were in high school. If they'd had no job after graduation, they would have been expected to get one since as adults they were expected to contribute.

Answer by Bmat at 9:58 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I had to pay the electric bill when I lived with my mother as a single adult. When I moved home with children for a while I had to pay half of everything until I found out she was charging me for half her credit card bills as well. Hard to save to get out when you are paying all someone's bills for them. When my kids lived with me they paid $50 a month for their room. They cleaned their own room and did their own laundry. Each had to provide one meal a week for the family. They still had to do a chore of their choice. It worked quite well for us.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:35 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Great ideals. My son is off to college in the fall wont be leaving at home. So I believe that I will not charge him anything. Although he did pay for his cell phone and car insurance when he got his first job at 15. When he turned 18 he took the cell phone in his name and pays for his car insurance.
    sassy43082

Answer by sassy43082 at 11:39 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Oh & yes, I forgot to add, they will not only pay rent but a small portion of the electric,cable & gas bill as well. I dont beilieve in getting anything for free.."Life is what it is, sleep, eat, work, pay bills & die".
    witch_e_woman

Answer by witch_e_woman at 12:25 PM on May. 16, 2009