Do you think playing games like The Memory Game and Set help a child with reasoning skills

I have a child with and incredible memory. She is in an Honors College and she has a 4.0 average.Shes' majoring in Chemistry and Math. Do you think parents can play with a child and increase their IQ.

adelaid1951

Asked by adelaid1951 at 5:59 PM on May. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• I dont believe you can change IQ....I believe that you are born with it.

You can however work on learning skills and reasoning skills using games and such.

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:05 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I think part of a child/persons IQ is set up from conception/developement, but I am sure that playing games with your child can improve many skills and def brain activity.Not sure about the IQ points tho, unless its games designed for the IQ tests. I know people who got 4.0's their whole school career and failed horribly at the IQ tests so its a toss up.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 6:05 PM on May. 14, 2009

• There's a difference between helping them developing reasoning skills and trying to increase their IQ.

You can help them develop reasoning skills to a certain degree. But reasoning skills are also common sense and I know some pretty book smart people who don't have the common sense God gave a goose. (mil claims to be a member of mensa but hasn't passed the bar exam after taking it over 25 times)

I don't believe you can increase an IQ level. It is what it is. Grades in school don't truly reflect an IQ either. Maturity and dedication are what help with grades. I was also in Honors in college, graduated with a 3.852qpa, but passed with barely a C in high school.

Rumor has it my IQ is 136. Believe me, my parents had nothing to do with that.
    Anonymous

• It couldn't hurt! Go for it! that is so much better than video games.
    Anonymous

• I don't think playing games,etc can help raise IQ scores, I think those are from birth. You can play games to help develop skills and memory. I know people that are highly intelligent but do horribly on standerdized tests and I know people that have horrible grades but do amazing on standardized tests. Video games DO help with eye hand coordination and depending on the game critical thinking skills. Just limit the amount of time. Reading to a child, talking to them, pointing objects out also help with learning skills.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:08 PM on May. 14, 2009