Should 16 year old's get an allowance?

I've tried giving her money each week IF she just did her regular chores. (Keeping her bathroom clean and her dirty clothes in the laundry room and feeding her animals). When she didn't, she didn't get paid. Now I'm trying to only pay her when she does special projects for me or helps me without my having to BEG. It's to the point now where I get no help and she does nothing and has no money and it doesn't bother her. Any Advice???

Stacie2261

Asked by Stacie2261 at 6:00 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I dont believe in giving an allowence unless the child does extra work. The regular chores are considered earning your keep. My children will have the privledge of knowing that they dont just get to HAVE new clothes, dressers, beds, shoes, ect ect. but that they EARNED them by beaing a productive member of the family.
    Any extra chores will earn money.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:02 PM on May. 14, 2009

• oh. and she's 16. ...you might try letting her have her own space.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:03 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Demand her help or take things away like the phone, computer, cell phone, car and anything else she enjoys like hanging out with her friends until she does what is asked of her. Don't beg, ask her one time and one time only and give her a punishment to fit the crime or lack there of. She knows you will let her get away with not helping and she probably still does what she wants. So take her freedom and fun things away and then work out a chore list and once she gets onboard then work into the allowance.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 6:03 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I totally agree with outstandinglove. There are certain things she should be responsible for regardless, like feeding her animals. It's a part of growing up - learning to take care of your business even when there's no reward. If she has no interest in earning money for extra chores, then so be it. She'll wish she had the money when she's begging you for that shiny new thing she wants.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 6:24 PM on May. 14, 2009

• My daughter is 16 going on 17 and the chores she has are what I call kindergarten chores, like unstacking the dish washer (every day), emptying trash buckets around the house (twice a week), sweeping the bathroom floor (once a week) and filling the water jugs from our water distiller (once a week). Simple, a kindergartner could do them. I pay her $32 a month. If she lacks on her chores, I lack on her allowance. I'm trying to teach her that when she gets a job that you are paid for the work that you do. You miss work, you don't get paid. As far as the chores go, I'm trying to teach her that when she gets her own place that it is important to take pride in the things that you have like keeping your place neat and clean. This reflects on who you are plus she lives here too and she can help out . My husband also tells her that if you put things where they belong when you're done with them, you would never have to pick up. Smart!!
    3down1togo

Answer by 3down1togo at 7:04 PM on May. 14, 2009

• shes 16... she can get a real job now
    Anonymous

• I don't give my son an allowance unless he does extra chores, not ones that are expected of him as being part of the family. At 16, if they want extra money they can get a real job or babysit. I will get my child what he needs, some of what he wants and spending money when he needs it, but any extra's he can get a job. He does have to maintain a B average or he will have no job, school always comes first.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:29 PM on May. 14, 2009

• We do give our kids an allowance. DD, 14, gets $10/week, DS, 10, gets $5. They are responsible for keeping their rooms picked up, feeding the dog, setting and clearing the table, helping with anything we ask them to help with like washing the car, making dinner, cleaning the bathroom,dusting, folding laundry, sweeping the floor, helping w/groceries. I often say, "I'm not running a hotel", or "Many hands make light work", or "You're going to need to do all this stuff on your own later so get used to doing it now". I don't think we actually tied the allowance in w/the chores . The $ is a tool to get them used to managing it themselves and the chores are a contribution to the family. They must always get the chores done before doing leisure activities or within an agreed upon time frame, like "within 2 days", or "by Friday". My dd puts a reminder on her phone, I and my dh are my son's reminders.
    dflygirl7

Answer by dflygirl7 at 10:28 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I agree with anonymous...and I also agree about giving allowance for doing extra things... I think she should get paid for doing stuff like the dishes but NOT get paid for cleaning her room..or doing her laundry thats just basic stuff...
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 10:29 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Boy, are you guys nice to your kids. At 16, my parents didn't give me an allowance. As a matter of fact, I was told to find a job or they would find one for me. I paid for my clothes and other things that I wanted. I didn't spend all of my money. I set some aside for college.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 1:08 AM on May. 15, 2009