What is a "successful parent"?

I feel I will be "successful" mother if my child doesn't "need" me any more once she grows up (age yet to be determined). As in, has her own house/apt., has a job, pays all her own bills, does her own laundry, etc.

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 6:02 PM on May. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• You raise a fairly happy, fairly productive, independent adult.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:49 PM on May. 14, 2009

• That is a form of success. I will feel that way when I see my child become a mother, and I see how she raises her children and if she follows after me. I will feel successful once my daughter graduates from school and on her own with or without college.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 6:05 PM on May. 14, 2009

• agreed.
    a "successful" parent is one that teaches his/her children to be a productive and responsible member of society, as well as teaching one to be a "good person". Integrity.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:06 PM on May. 14, 2009

• success is all in how you look at it. you could be the low man on the pole yet feel that your a total success. As long as you are proud of what you have done and you trust and belive that you have done enough then you have been a success. Or at least thats how i see it.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 6:16 PM on May. 14, 2009

• A successful parent is one that tries their honest best!

It all depends on how you define success though. I don't define it with money.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:18 PM on May. 14, 2009

• My 13-year-old recently turned down pot offered by her best friend. When I found out, it made me feel like I have been doing things right. Things like this, I think , make you a successful parent. When your kids graduate without becoming parents themselves, when they go on to college, when they don't resort to drugs, violence, crime, etc. I think it's hard to steer kids in the right direction these days.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 6:29 PM on May. 14, 2009

• A successful parent teaches their children between right and wrong,to have good moral and values and to grow up to be independent happy adults.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:22 PM on May. 14, 2009

• A succesful parent is one that does her best to instill respect, values, etc in their children, that their children are happy and well adjusted adults. That the children are independent, know their limits and is kind and respectful to others. I don't care if my son needs my help as an adult, my child can need me as long as necessary...that is my job as a parent. That I can help when he needs it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:05 PM on May. 14, 2009