• In the Spotlight:

What do you do when you can't find a babysitter and you could lose your job?

My babysitter is going to be out of town and I only work part-time and I cannot find a babysitter, but if I don't go to work, I will lose my job b/c I've had to call out too many times for not having a babysitter. What do y'all do in situations like this?

ABPeterson

Asked by ABPeterson at 6:08 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• Do you have family or a friend who could help you out? Does your sitter know of anyone who could fill in? Ask around your job for a sitter or if you have the time look for one online. You can post an add on craigslist to find one and do interviews if you have the time. You can't loose your job unless you have the income to support your child, if this is just for extra money then you can give it up and let them fire you and file for unemployment and see if they deem your claim legitimate and pay you for awhile. I would look into a more reliable sitter and a back up no matter what the situation
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 6:10 PM on May. 14, 2009

• just wanted to say good luck and def find a more reliable sitter. Do you have a neighbor you trust, friends teen daughter, friends friend? think a=of everyone you know and call them to ask.I would not do craigslist tho, too many insane idiots there lately.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 6:12 PM on May. 14, 2009

• It's best to not trust anyone if this is for the last minute. unless you know someone very well for a long time, or have they gotten a list of references you'd be comfortable with. -----

Idea : An agency for home day care is on a list from the Daycare referal of the country which you reside. They keep up dated files/ caregiver lists available to research. I did this to check , unfortunately not one provider had enough space to take another child, the waiting lists are very long, so you need to get onto one in advance, try it / call anyway , you never know if the one open space might become ready.
    Anonymous

• if family or friends could not help out, or i could not find a backup babysitter, i would bring my son to work with me! if they dont want my son there, they should provide daycare on the job or not get so p.o.ed that i would be taking off of work.
    kelsey.evans08

Answer by kelsey.evans08 at 6:25 PM on May. 14, 2009

• My daughter was in this very situation, only she had a full time job. With two children, it was way too expensive. She had to leave her job and get a parttime waitressing job.. It's easier for a friend to watch the kids in the evening, plus she gets way better pay with tips!!
    Anonymous

• My neighbors have found the best childcare through the education department at a local university. www.sittercity.com may be a good resource for you.
    You need to build your network of support; we have two neighbors we trade child care with.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:28 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I asked my  co-workers if they have older college aged students or their moms/family that you could help out until you find a backup babysitter. Another resource I would recommend is care.com .  you can see their references.. and background checks.. not sure I would do craigslist, no background check. I remember when my nanny would be sick during the winter months, when my parents were not around.. it got easier when the kids got in school, and I hooked up with other working moms... Good luck!

Gail99

Answer by Gail99 at 8:57 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I know the feeling. and day care used to eat up my entire paycheck and I missed a lot of the kids activities due to working crazy hours;so now I just work from home and its been a blessing. I can give you more info, just pm me. The money is great and I dont need a babysitter
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 5:15 AM on May. 15, 2009