at what age did you switch to a toddler bed i need helP!

Did they crawl out of the bed? What did you do about it? My Son has a heater in his room, plays with the buttons, plays with the light sockets, knows how to take the saftey things out of the light sockets, trys to plug his fan in and out of the sockets, knows how to open his door. I am at a loss of what or how to do it. Please help

ClvDandJ

Asked by ClvDandJ at 6:21 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he's able to climb out of his crib, then he needs to be in the bed.

Mine actually stayed in his crib till he was almost three...and we put him straight into a big boy bed. No toddler bed at all.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:24 PM on May. 14, 2009

• How old is your son? They have covers you can buy that you switch out the sockets so you have to turn them and insert the plug for them to work so you won't need the plug ins. If he is touching the fan and things then take them out of his room. Baby proof it and leave nothing he can get hurt on in the room. He will learn and if he is in a crib and getting out then he is ready. Good luck
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 6:25 PM on May. 14, 2009

• My oldest and youngest were 2 yo. My middle was 1. He was my Hondini and I felt it was safer to put him in the toddler bed than let him crawl out of the crib. He loved being out of the crib and did well.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:28 PM on May. 14, 2009

• As you've discovered, there is more danger in moving a child than the falling out risk of not moving him.
    You need to strip his room. There are locking socket covers - get some of those. Take the lights out. Take the fan and heater out. Take any breakable items out. Take the toys and books out so he isn't tempted to get up to play. Put a lock on the closet door. Make sure there is a lock on the window. Make sure any dressers or bookcases are bolted to the wall - if he's like my daughter, he'll try to climb them... 300 children were killed last year from furniture falling on them, over 27,000 were injured. Strip out anything that could remotely hurt him. You can NOT guard him and tell him "NO" in the middle of the night. And he is too young to remember or obey the rules if you are not there to enforce them.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:33 PM on May. 14, 2009

• We moved them to a regular bed at 15 months. Only my youngest gave us any trouble and took 2 weeks of putting him back in bed SEVERAL times a night before he stayed.

Get new light socket covers, get a cover for the door knob so he can't open it, child proof the rest of the room.

Keep putting him back, putting him back, putting him back....He will get it, he will remember and he will stay in bed.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:40 PM on May. 14, 2009

• my daughter is 15 months, she is still in a crib and hasnt tried to get out (( yet)) but we have baby proofed her room. She is too smart for all the plug in covers, so we unscrewed, and put that silver tape that is really thick over it like 3 layers then covered it back with the normal cover. We got doorknob covers and put on the doors, she does fine when she is playing in there. Just a thought for a quick fix.. good luck!
    Madilynsmommy27

Answer by Madilynsmommy27 at 10:48 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I got my son in a regular bed a little after he was 2 years old. We just told him to stay in bed, and then left the room. Never had a problem.

My friend though had problems with her son, but figured away to get him used to the bed .... At night she'd put him in bed, and then sit with her back facing him. Everytime he'd get out of bed she'd just put him back in (making no eye contact, or speaking). Each night she'd moved closer to the door, and repeat the same process. She said it took her a few night until she got out into the hall with his door shut. She said he finally realized mommy meant business and that he was going to sleep in his bed. When she told me about it, she said it's a good idea to start bed time a little earlier than normal.
    ShiningStar24

Answer by ShiningStar24 at 2:37 AM on May. 15, 2009