What were the 80's like?

I was born in 1988. So for those of you that lived through the 80's, what was it like? Haha :D

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 6:26 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• They were whack.
    I was born in 73.
    The only good thing that happened in the 80's was MTV - before the Real World premiere - did you know that the channel really did use to play music videos all day and all night long? Dang, reality shows...........................
    Anonymous

• LOL..the 80's were a blur for me. I was too busy being pregnant, wiping heinys and noses and being a PTA Mom. I remember my little sister being big into Big Hair Bands. Spandex leggings and big wide shoulder pads. AIDS Had every sexually active, non-monogamous person in America scared Sh*tless as we learned more about it. The very tiniest beginning murmurings about DNA were heard. We began to hear stuff about a place called the World Wide Web and big shots walked around with these enormous military walkie talkie sizes 'cordless phone. John Deloreans car with the weird side doors was a hot trend. We used to go to the movies on Mondays nights for one dollar. Concert tickets averaged about 12-15 bucks

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:34 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I miss the gas prices.......................and Swatches......... :)
    happy1mom

Answer by happy1mom at 6:36 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I was in high school from 1984 through 1988. Schools didn't have gang violence and teachers could still sit you in a corner if you acted like a schmuck in class. You could get paddled (in our school, by the football coach!) and the Principle would be happy to call your parents (because they didn't threaten him with a lawsuit for damaging your poor widdle feelings).

It was after Women's Lib and the sexual revolution, so being uh...liberated was pretty common. This was before we understood AIDS. It was just something that happened to gay men, so most of us didn't even give it a thought. "Safe Sex" meant that you remembered to set the parking break. You had serial boyfriends and had sex with them, which wasn't at all like today's "hooking up." Drugs flowed pretty freely and Nancy's "Just say no!" message was freaknin' HILARIOUS!

We went out dancing with friends every weekend to the most awesome music on earth!
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 6:43 PM on May. 14, 2009

• FUN FUN FUN motley crew ac/dc skid row poison aww memories

Anonymous

• LOL honey I was married in 1988!

The 80's were big hair, good music and good TV.  The biggest rage of the 80's were music videos and VCR's and remote controls were cutting edge technology.  I remember going into music stores to buy records and they would have a small section of CD's.

I also remember bloody Thatcher and the poll tax riots but that is another story.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:01 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Well i was born in 1977 so i remember some stuff back in the 80's like hair do's mohawks, skating was big, concerts, movies like friday the 13 th with freddy or jason guess jeans cars like mustangs, camero, firbird were big with t tops pick up's jacked up, drink at the age of 18..
    semiwife

Answer by semiwife at 7:18 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Oh my! Big hair,neon clothes,Valley girls,great movies,jelly shoes,Rubik's cube,roller skating,MTV,androgynous people! The wedding Singer shows the times pretty well! I was 16 when you were born!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:18 PM on May. 14, 2009

• It was tacky and fabulous. I miss the '80's (but VERY glad to be in this day and age). I was born in '78 and wanted to be older like my sister so that I could have the fingerless lace glove (my mom would NOT let me have one).

There were so many fads, it was ridiculous.

The music, TV and pop culture stuff is what I mostly remember. I suggest you watch I Love the '80's series on VH1. It's awesome and will get you up to speed year by year. :)
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 7:19 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Fabulous! I was born in 1967 and I loved the 80's. I loved the music, the clothes, the hair, the quiter times & the TV shows. I had 2 of my sons in the 80's...1986 and 1988. My 2nd son is probably older than you unless you were born the 1st week of Jan., his bday is Jan. 8th.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 7:29 PM on May. 14, 2009