Have you forced a hospital or doctor to uphold the law allowing you to have a VBAC?

I have read up on vbacs and know that it is illegal for hospitals and doctors to refuse to let you. I want to know if anybody has gone through the process of filing complaints that force the hospital to comply and allow the vbac.

truealaskanmom

Asked by truealaskanmom at 6:29 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have known of a few women that have done a VBAC in a hospital with a VBAC ban. They did have to fight and most of those women went in pushing so their time at the hospital was limited.
    I would NOT recommend doing this. I would suggest they find another hospital or look into a homebirth or birthing center.

To the Nurse who posted above, WOW! Just wow. I am shocked at your lack of facts. You are scaring women into unnecessary surgery and you should be ashamed of yourself!
    Perhaps it is you that needs to do some research! Even the ACOG says VBACs are safe and recommends them under certain circumstances.
    If you truly believe you are right, I encourage you to come back here and post the resources where you are getting your information from.

If anyone is interested, there is an AWESOME VBAC support group here
    www.cafemom.com/group/1540
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:53 AM on May. 24, 2009

• The choice is always the mothers unless you are having complications early or late in gestation. At the end I would have had another VBAC ( the second VBAC.) would have meaning I was really late for the term to deliver and didn't dialate so I was taken in for a c - section.

But if you are having a good pregnancy there is not a reason to have it naturally.
    Anonymous

• I meant to say there is not a reason to have it VBAC , go ahead and go natural birth.
    Anonymous

• no. i just found a different hospital that has the medical staff available incase a medical emergency arises... and switched from having an OB to a Nurse-Midwife.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 7:01 PM on May. 14, 2009

• a vbac is vaginal birth after cesarean, which means a natural birth after a previous c-section.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:09 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Look up the doctor that let women have these when they asked and some had complications then sued the s*it out of him. That's why lots of doctors won't do it.
    Anonymous

• That is actually incorrect, if a woman refuses a c-section against advice she cannot hold the doctor or hospital liable. It is against many laws for doctors and hospitals to refuse to do a vbac, and they are liable if they force a c-section, there is precedence set in the legal system so doctors and hospitals have no right to refuse or they will ultimately lose the legal battle.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:38 PM on May. 14, 2009

• doctors perform c-sections mostly for one reason they make more money for doing less work, they would rather take an hour with you and cut you open, then spend several hours or a day or so and make less money. I think c-sections should be cheaper to prevent this kind of misuse.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:41 PM on May. 14, 2009

• my dr is telling me that i probably cant have a c section cuz they think the baby will be too big and my scar is still too new from the last c section (feb 08). what should i tell her?
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 7:51 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I would tell her that uterine rupture is soo low of a chance that you should be allowed a trial of labor at the very least, and if there is no immediate danger of rupture you should be allowed a vbac. If you say no I don't want a c-section they cannot make you for anyreason. Type a paper that says you do not want a c-section, and sign it and turn that into the hospital when you preregister.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:04 PM on May. 14, 2009