Does your husband or SO suffer from PTSD?

If so, how is he dealing with it? Is he seeking counseling? Is he less involved with you and your children? Is it hard to get him to go places because he's afraid of being in a crowd of people? Does he sleep alot?

I need to know that this is to be expected with a person with PTSD and how long does it take for them to eventually get better. Not necissarily recover, just get better.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:30 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Relationships

• Some people never get better.Then some people do..Depends on the person.

Answer by louise2 at 6:36 PM on May. 14, 2009

• my husband hasn't been diagnosed with it, but he does avoid large crowds (even the mall) since he came back from Iraq. He also shakes (like convulsions) in his sleep.
    BethTTC

Answer by BethTTC at 6:38 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Oh, I forgot to say that he was in Iraq fall 2005- spring 2006. He has been getting a little better, but still avoids large crowds...the shaking in his sleep has reduced a little, but it is still very much there.
    BethTTC

Answer by BethTTC at 6:40 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Yeah that's my husband. He shakes too in his sleep and he doesn't like large crowds. That's good that your husband is getting better. Mine went to Iraq in 03 when it first started to 04 after the capture of suddam and I think it is catching up with him. He was different when he first came back but it didn't show as much as it does now. I remember when he came home on leave during christmas we went to the mall and he was looking around him everywhere, wishing he had his gun on him.

I wish I understood what he's feeling and what's going on through his head. Then maybe i won't give him such a hard time, but sometimes it's so frustrating!
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 6:44 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Not my husband, but I do. If you need someone to talk to about it, PM me.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 6:49 PM on May. 14, 2009

• To an extent, yes, he does.

He was deployed to Iraq for 12 months from March 03 to March 04 and then again for 12 months from March 05 to February 06 and then for 15 months from September 07 and returned home November 08.

Sometimes large crowds make him nervous, loud sudden noises, and things on the side of the road. Sometimes he will wake up in a panic, and be upset that he doesn't have his weapon.

He has dealt with the majority of it on his own and has talked to counselors a few times.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 7:18 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I have it and I sleep a lot (too much really), I stay depressed and I live a reclusive life. I hate going out in the real world (hence I'm online way too much). I have anxiety and panic attacks being around ppl. If I have to shop it is at night or when I know the store isn't crowded. It's been 38 yrs since my PTSD experience. Will I get better? Probably not.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:01 PM on May. 14, 2009