• In the Spotlight:

Does anyone else think the term colic is overused??

My daughter has gas pains, she doesn't cry for any other reason. There is no crying periods of hours on end, no sleepless nights, unless it's because she's cramping in her sleep and it eventually wakes her up and she starts to fuss from the pain. People keep telling me it's colic, but colic doesn't suddenly develop at 11 weeks. And colic is babies who cry a lot. My dd doesn't cry a lot, only when she's trying to strain out a bowel movement. Couldn't it be something else? Are there any procedures that can figure out why my little girl screams in pain when she's trying to pass a bowel movement? I hate the term colic, people use that word for everything that pertains to gas, it's really getting to me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i don't like when the diagnosis is "colic" but i think its fine to use the term "colicky" to describe a baby's behavior
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 6:38 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I completely agree, I totally felt the term was used to dimiss my son's gas distress rather than address it. Have you looked into gas relief drops or gripe water?
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 6:56 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I agree. For some reason these days people seem to think colic and gas are the same thing.
    Anonymous

• Colic is officially defined as a baby who cries for no apparent reason for 3 hours or more a day, for 3 days or more a week.
    If a baby has bad gas pains, there is a reason he is crying - so it's not colic. Since you have a good idea of what is causing your baby's distress, I'd talk to a pediatric GI doctor if you can.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:47 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Yes, talk to the pediatrician if it continues. Try gas drops as well - just be consistent with them.
    You can also try bicycling her legs to get things "moving" down there - warms baths sometimes help as well! My son HAD colic. Yes - the crying, no real apparant reason, from 5-7 or 6-8 p.m. about 4-5 nights a week. And cried during the day... all the time...he had reflux as well... no fun for anyone!Good luck!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 8:33 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I completely agree. Everyone told me that my dd had colic. No, she did not. She cried some. Because she is a baby. Babies cry. I do what I can, but I never had crying spells that lasted for hours, or at the same time every day. If you think your baby might have colic, she doesn't. You KNOW if they do! One of my friends had it, and it was God awful. She had her tubes tied. There is no doubt if they truly have colic.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:47 PM on May. 14, 2009

• does your little girl pass hard formed stools. We had this problem but it was at about a week -7 weeks old. She would cry cause of the gas pains and they smelt like sulfer. We found out she was lactose intolerant and had her switched to soy. The gas pains stopped but then we had constipation issues. She would be fine till she needed to poop then scream in pain, The soy binded her up and made her have hard stools. Now she gets .5 ounce of prune juice in one bottle a day and all is well. She is 11 weeks now and has no more gas or pooping pains. I hope you find out what is wrong.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:18 PM on May. 14, 2009