Do you have a family disaster plan?

Earthquakes, tornadoes, wildfires... there are so many things that can go wrong in everyday life.
Do you have a plan in place to keep your family safe? If not, here's a good starting guide:
http://www.aap.org/family/frk/FOurstepsFRK.pdf

I'm starting to put one together for us. I hope to have a bare-bones plan done over the weekend.

kaycee14

Asked by kaycee14 at 6:45 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• We live on a military installation. Plan done!!! lol
    Anonymous

• We just went through an emergency preparedness course...so we got our plans figured out, but we still don't have every last bit equipment needed to carry them out.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 7:41 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Actually, after 9/11 we began our emergency preparedness plan--based on a terrorist attack--it includes ways we would try to communicate with one another, our most important personal papers, where we would meet if we needed to evacuate and couldn't communicate, emergency food rations, extra cash, guns and ammo, wind up and battery operated radios, flashlights, lots of candles, propane gas tanks, fuel lighters, portable coolers--with frozen and instant ice packs, first aid kit (I'm a former Paramedic) etc.

We keep everything in a locked and designated part of our home, and everything can be quickly accessed or taken with us on short notice. I know it probably sounds "alarmist" but I would rather be safe than sorry, or spend valuable time running around like a chicken with my head cut off. I HOPE we will never need to use any of this stuff, but it's good to know it's there if we do! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:25 PM on May. 14, 2009

• We do! It is called the "Howard Family Protcols" and is in a binder. It is an extremely comprehensive plan that my hubby and I spent many hours putting together. It covers everything from eathquakes, to bio terrorism to all out nuclear war.

We also have supplies on hand to meet any of these challenges. It takes about 30 minutes to "load and go". We are slowly shaving time off this as the boys get bigger!

We started putting it together after 9/11. My hubby flew out of the Newark airport the day before. If it wasn't for a sick baby I would have been on the train going into NY with friends that day. We lived on the last street on base and it was the quickest way to the gate. I watched a tank and trucks filled with armed soldiers pass in front of my house. That was my "wake up" call.

Prepare for the worst so you can fully enjoy the best.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:45 PM on May. 14, 2009

• We made our first plan before Y2K. Now, we have a more extensive plan much like LoriKeet and like yourspecialkid. We have even made nuclear preparations with potassium iodide tablets and plenty of duct tape and sheeting. We also have a generator and try to keep at least 3 month's worth of food and water on hand - even more if there are good sales, because it saves a TON of money in the long run.

We have plans for where to meet family if we need to leave the city and plans for staying in the city. We are currently building a small Faraday cage to house extra electronic parts for one vehicle, a small netbook computer and a satellite phone and handheld ham radio so that we will have working items in the event of an EMP, which is what most strategists are expecting from Iran. Our gun safe is well stocked too!
    TrekkieMom

Answer by TrekkieMom at 11:10 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I do feel fairly well protected, living on a military base, but we also have plans in place for if something happens while we are separated. My oldest son has a cell phone that we can contact him on. My youngest 2 are in the same school on base and the school has instructions (as they do for all kids) on what to do in case of an emergency with the kids. They are to be held at the school til one of us, or one of our emergency contacts, can get there to pick them up. Our common point of contact is my mom. If something happens and I can't reach my husband, or vice versa, we will call my mom and let her know where we are so she can tell the other one when contact can be made. In case of a necessary evacuation, our rendezvous point is my mom's house also. We are working on getting non-perishable food, bottled water, charcoal, lighters, and a jet-boil stocked in our pantry too, as well as extra blankets and such.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:50 AM on May. 15, 2009

• It's best to be prepared for a situation that you hope will never happen than to just bury your head in the sand and pretend it won't.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:51 AM on May. 15, 2009