If a parent had kids taken away should they be able to keep their new baby

Some friends of mine are expecting again. They have had involvment with the department of human services with kids in the past. They signed over 3 of their children due to her having drug problems. she has been clean for 1 year. My question is do you guys think she should have a chance to raise her child on the way? She has changed. I have seen it myself but have had people tell me she does not deserve to be a mother. I think she deserves the chances. She has done great with getting things for her child on the way and she has addressed her issue of her drug usuage. She gets tested every 2 weeks for drugs in her system and always comes up clean.

lilmamaof209

Asked by lilmamaof209 at 6:48 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She had 3 chances before this and wasted them. Everyone is capable of change and I commend her for making a positive change and another chance is always out there, I just hope she continues down the road of sobriety no matter what drug it is. She probably has a case worker already and they will continue to test and remove the child if she messes up. I wish her the best and I hope this time she keeps her head or straight for the sake of her 4th child.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 6:50 PM on May. 14, 2009

• In this situation, maybe.In general, No. Children are given back to their parents way too easily. Why isn't she trying to get her other kids back?
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 6:51 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Of course she deserves a chance to be a mother. As long as she is clean and is committed to being a good mom. What about her previous children are they in foster care or have they been adopted?
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 6:51 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Yes I do
    Anonymous

• I believe that because she has had a history with the state and released custody of three of her previous chidren she should be monitored and given any counsiling and/or help that she may need in order to continue to stay clean and become a loving and dedicated parent. I don't believe that once a loser always a loser, she obviously has taken steps to overcome her demons and as long as she can prove to herself and the authorities that she is capable of being a competent mother than yes she should be able to raise her new child. If you are a friend than I am hoping that you will also take it into consideration to offer her help and guidence in the upcoming months and years of her "new" sober life.

momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 6:53 PM on May. 14, 2009

• IF the situation that lead to the removal of the other kids is no longer there then yes I think she should be able to. If the situation is still there then no. And that is in general with any parents who have kids taken. She probably can't get her other kids back because she gave up her rights to them so legally she is no more related to them than anyone else and can no longer fight to get them back.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 6:58 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Her other children have been adopted out She signed over her rights before her rights were temanated by the state. I am staying by her side and helping her out as much as I can.
    lilmamaof209

Answer by lilmamaof209 at 6:59 PM on May. 14, 2009

• basically if her case is still open with the previous children that were removed from the home then they will monitor her with the knew pregnancy she is having an if they suspect the same then when that baby is born they will remove that child from the home too but if the case is closed an there arent any reports then theyll let her keep this baby as long as she stays clean an healthy !! good luck
    ohmama213

Answer by ohmama213 at 7:24 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Her case with DHS has been closed since April 2009. With her last child the father got physical custody and she gets visits. She lives in a different state from where her children was taken from her.
    lilmamaof209

Answer by lilmamaof209 at 7:37 PM on May. 14, 2009

• It depends on the individual. But from what you have shared, I think she does deserve a chance... but needs to be monitored closely.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 10:02 PM on May. 14, 2009