• In the Spotlight:

Babies getting sick.... Also posted in 0-12months

My 23month ds old woke up with a fever of a 100.9 and a runny nose a lil while ago, now my 6 month old dd is getting a runny nose. I already gave ds tylenol, should I go ahead and give my lil girl some benadryl since she doesnt have a fever yet, maybe so she wont get to sick???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:28 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Benadryl is not going to STOP her from getting sick if she is going to....I would wait to see if she shows symptoms first. No reason to give unnecessary medicines, especially since she is so young. She is probably too young for benadryl anyways.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:30 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I was always told by my doctor not to give my daughter medicine when she was a baby.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 7:35 PM on May. 14, 2009

• She's only 6 months. It's recommended kids don't get cold medications until they're 6 years now.

That said...no cold medication (or allergy medication in this case) will STOP them from getting a cold.

If you do give medications for a cold, they should only be given at bed times if they need help sleeping. Otherwise, you WANT their noses to run, you want them to cough and sneeze because that is how they are getting the virus OUT of their body. The more medication they have, the longer the cold will last.

100.9 is very low grade and our pediatrician wouldn't even have us give Tylenol for that (but I did anyway! lol)

Elevate the heads of their beds
    steam in the shower
    run a humidifier
    suction (or blow) out what you can
    Tylenol for discomfort/fever
    saline nose drops and liquids to help keep things loose
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:37 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Benedryl will not keep her from getting sick and it is not supposed to be given to infants. Wash your and your son's hands often.

And remember that a fever is the body's way of getting better. By taking away your son's low grade fever, you have made it harder for him to get well. In anyone over the age of 18 months, fevers under 102.5 do NOT need to be treated. Pain meds can be given for pain and to help a child rest but low grade fevers should not be "treated".
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:38 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I second mom2twobabies - babies can get fevers from colds which are viruses. If she doesn't have a full fledged cold yet with a red sore undernose try some vaseline there to keep it from getting raw even w/your son. but once that area is raw already, don't use vaseline it'll horribly sting the rawness. When your in the bathroom several times a day try getting it a bit warm from steam and then turn off the shower. Then bring babies in and let them play safely on the floor in the slightly steamed bathroom, it'll help their congestion. Do not leave the bathroom though for any reason when they're in there with you. Any one who calls you on a phone not in the bathroom with you will call you again if they want to. Hope you all feel better!!!
    Anonymous