Anyone on here experience gestational diabetes? How did you deal with it?

finallyamom40

Asked by finallyamom40 at 7:31 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was able to control my GD with diet for both of my pregnancies. So it never became a huge problem. I was given a recipe guide from my doctor and also given the ADA website www.diabetes.org to help with meal planning and dietary exchanges. Let me know if there is anything in particular you wanted to know.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 7:34 PM on May. 14, 2009

• i had gestational with both o my pregancies and i actually ended up getting type 2
    it was very hard to deal with the best advice i can give you is talk to your dr get him or her to give you a referral to a dietician and have them help you
    also take advantage of those free foods girl lol
    angel
    zabees_angel

Answer by zabees_angel at 7:35 PM on May. 14, 2009

• YEP!!!

I had to modify my diet. I met several times with a nutritionist and they sort of gave me lessons...lol I also had to test with the strips to make sure it wasnt getting too high.

Just remember one thing.....NO simple sugars....things that have sugar put in them like cake, sweet tea, brownies, ya know, all the good stuff....lol

Most things have sugar but they are the "good" sugar such as bread, pasta, etc....they burn slower.....but you still have to watch your intake on that too....

Its hard....but your babies health depends on it.....

Good luck!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:37 PM on May. 14, 2009

• my adult dd had it with her second child. She had to take shots. After the baby was born she stopped taking shots but then ended up with type 2 and had to lose a lot of weight to get that under control.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:39 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I am curious about this too. How many people with GD have had babies that were over 8 lbs. that is what scares me the most. I have to go in tomorrow for my 3 hour test to find out if I have it.
    stellanzoe

Answer by stellanzoe at 9:09 PM on May. 14, 2009

• my ds was 6 lbs 10 3/4 oz and 19 1/2 in long
    my dd was 5 lbs 8 1/4 z and 18 1/2 in long
    both of them i had gd
    zabees_angel

Answer by zabees_angel at 11:21 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Both of my children were 7 lbs 2.6 oz. My sister had GD with her first, and she was 7 lbs 4 oz if memory serves me correctly. My first and hers were overdue. My second was a week early, so the doctor estimates if I had carried that extra week that she would have been about 7 lbs 10 oz.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:31 PM on May. 15, 2009