When your child goes to Pre-k and is potty trained but can't wipe themselves yet,does the teacher do it for them?

I hope this in't a stupid question.But my son will be starting pre-k.But he doesn't know how to wipe himselve after a bowl movement.Will the teacher do this for him until he gets the hang of it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:06 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think it depends on the school, they would do that where my children have and will be going to, but I know there are other Pre-k's that want the children to be capible in that area.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 8:14 PM on May. 14, 2009

• My mom is a preschool director and at her school they don't do anything with poop. If a kid doesn't wipe properly and won't, or poops in his pants, they call the parent to take care of it. If the kid wets himself, they will give him a wipe to clean up and new clothes, but they don't do poop. I don't know if it's because of state regulations (they aren't a daycare and so they aren't licensed to do diapering) or what, but I know that's how their school is run.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 8:14 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Maybe he isn't ready for Pre-K yet if he can't wipe himself. Do you really *want* his teacher to do it for him?
    Anonymous

• I find it easier for my dd3 to wipe herself clean if she uses a wipe over toilet paper so if I were you, I would make sure to send wipes along with him so he can get himself clean when he goes. You have some time to teach him now to wipe and fold until there's no more poop on the wipe.
    mommabear2008

Answer by mommabear2008 at 9:01 PM on May. 14, 2009

• in my experience the teacher will check the 2 year olds to make sure they did it properly but after 3 they are on there own.
    Anonymous

• also most kids don't do poop at school they do it where they are most comfortable (at home)
    Anonymous

• I think it depends on the school and the teachers. If a child needs help, I doubt a good teacher will say tough. I know at our school, the teachers to help if the children need it. I asked my son once who wipes him at school and he says no one - he doesn't poop at school. Luckily, he's regular. :)
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:28 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I have been a preschool teacher for 20 plus years and have wiped many bottoms! Many kids do it themselves and some of their parents send in wet wipes which are easier for them to use to get their bottoms clean. Occasionally they need help and I don't mind! It is hard for some to do on their own. Of course, you can help him practice at home.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 11:08 PM on May. 14, 2009

• We were talking about this at pick up the other day and discovered that none of our kids wipe themselves properly and they're all almost-four years old or older. One of the moms has older boys too and she was saying she was still helping some of her kids friends wipe properly on play dates at age 8.

I wouldn't use any preschool that expected me to come in and help me wipe my kids bum, that's ridiculous.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 11:22 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I believe the rules vary from state to state. I have heard that our state (GA) is not allowed to help in any way. If I am changing a diaper, of course its different, but if a classroom is required to be potty trained, then they have to be able to do it on their own.One of the reasons I don't think prek at 3 is necessary. My son went at 4 and he didnt do a good job. I always had to clean him up when he got home. It was okay though, he finally learned. I am not convinced at 7 that he does a good job now but its more because hes lazy. He just wants to hurry and get back to whatever he was doing before like most kids.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:46 PM on May. 15, 2009