Have any of your child-less friends ever said anything tasteless or rude to you about your children before?

I have a friend who has no children. She is usually a pretty decent person but she has said some really tasteless things to me about how I should treat me child on more than one occasion and I am geting kind of fed up with it now. She invites me over to her home for drinks with "the girls" and I always tell her that I can't make it if my husband is working b/c I don't want to bring my infant son with me to a place where everyone will be drinking and partying. Well she always suggests that I bring him anyway and she'll say something like "oh girl, just bring him anyway and you can just sit him in a corner like he's not even here, hahaha". I try not to be too sensitive but everytime she says something like this to me ABOUT MY CHILD, I just want to tell her off. I mean he is not a doll and NO I WON'T SIT HIM IN THE CORNER LIKE HE'S NOT HERE. Has this type of thing ever happened to you & if so, how did you handle it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:10 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Relationships

• Yeah, a couple of my friends has said stuff like that to me before, I really don't talk to anyone who doesn't have children anymore because of this. My first responsibility is my children and then my self and it seems like people that dont have children dont understand that when you do have children that you cant just get up and leave and go out to party when every you want. Just ignore here hon... Just tell her if she cant understand and stop with the rude remarks then you cant talk to her.
    Pooky_mommy

Answer by Pooky_mommy at 8:16 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I would cut all contact with her. She sounds pretty heartless. How would she like to be sat in the corner? She properlly would'nt like it very much. RIGHT!!!
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:28 PM on May. 14, 2009

• id tell her to sit in a corner!! I believe the corner is for punishment...why would you put your child in the corner for any other reason? Thats just cold and heartless what a b*tch. Id also tell her to stfu and have a child and then say that!
    Anonymous

• yet she will be the first you call and whine about never getting to get out and away from the baby. No I don't think she was rude. You were lucky to have her care if you got out of the house. Most folks wouldn't have offered to let you bring a baby over. I'm sure she was making a joke anyway. You could have put him to bed in the bedroom and enjoyed yourself for a bit but instead you got your panties in a wad and are sitting home alone...once again. It's your life. Just don't whine to others about how you never get a break.
    Anonymous

• Anon 4:31, It's kind of crazy because she talks about having kids all the time. Sometimes I fear for the child who will have her as a mother and other times, I just figure that maybe she'll change her attitude once she has her own children (or so I hope).-OP
    Anonymous

• Anon 4:47 I USUALLY NEVER SAY STUFF LIKE THIS, BUT I SERIOUSLY WISH THAT I COULD MEET YOU SO THAT I COULD SLAP THE S*IT OUT OF YOU. Save that bitchiness for someone that cares about what you think. I love my son and when I need a break (which is not that often, believe it or not) I have a wonderful husband that is willing to give that to me without complaint. I don't have to take anybody talking down to me about my children and I have tried to be patient with her but no more. I am not desperate for friends (like you apparently are). I love my life. I just hated to cut her off so abruptly considering that we were friends before I had my son. You are very ignorant! I (unlike you) am not sitting here lonely trying to hurt peoples feelings over the damn computer. Get real!!!
    Anonymous

• And another thing, Anon 4:47, Do you know me? What makes you think that I have ever whined to anyone about needing a break from my baby? I never have done this before in my life. Don't compare your life to mine.-OP
    Anonymous

• Those last post were to *anon 4:43*-OP
    Anonymous

• i agree with u OP. that was uncalled for with what that one chick said. i was even mad when i read it.
    i think u should juss kinda start separating urself from her, if ya know what i mean.
    i had muh baby youngggg, so none of muh friends understand why i cant hang out or juss bring muh kid wherever i go. : /
    so i juss started kinda not talkin em as much n it worked. we still talk every now n then, but they dont say stuff bout muh bby anymore. they know they lost that ability when we stopped bein rly close in friendship.
    good luck!!!
    momma323

Answer by momma323 at 9:40 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I have a good friend that is single with no kids. She only works during the summers so the rest of the year she does what ever she wants. She has said some really insensitive things to me in the past, and she doesnt understand why I wont pack up my 2 kids and drive my pregnant butt almost 3 hours just to have lunch with her.
    She has also made some pretty disparaging remarks about the fact i "dont work" and all I do is "sit at home all day". I love her to death and we have been friends for a really long time, but lately I tend to avoid her because she just doesnt get it.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 11:21 PM on May. 14, 2009