Any advice on good formulas?

My 6 month old has been strictly breast fed since she was born and I would love to keep it up but my milk is drying up. I am pumping every 2 hours to get it going again, but it's not seeming to work and my nipples are screaming in pain.

meltread

Asked by meltread at 8:13 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can try taking mothers milk tea and alfela pills both cost about $4 for a months supply, if that dont work a good one for that age is enfamil next step.... and if that is a little too expensive the walmart brand of it is great as well
    Anonymous

• I am so sorry that you are having a rough time, I sure wish you didnt have to use formula at all.....I have no good advice.......good luck *huggs*
    Anonymous

• i agree enfimil next step will probably work great. babies usually handle the adjustment to that formula well
    Anonymous

• We started by using Similac Advance and it worked for a long time but then she started getting gassy. So, then we switched to the Costco (Kirkland) brand and we decided it was way to bubbly. But, if you don't mind that, it's $20.00 for two 20 oz. cans!! We eventually settled on Nestle Good Start. At first I thought it was weird that Nestle would have a baby formula. But, it's not bubbly at ALL and it works wonders.
    ChristyJ310

Answer by ChristyJ310 at 8:23 PM on May. 14, 2009

• DO NOT use Enfamil NextStep for a 6 month; it is for 9-24 months! However, Enfamil brand is great, but I use Good Start Protect Plus. It is really easy on there stomach, especially in transition.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 8:28 PM on May. 14, 2009

• What exactly shows you that your supply is drying up, unless you went on the pill, got preggers, or stopped nursing on demand then your supply si fine and formula will only lwoer it...read this about supply
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html#supply
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:32 PM on May. 14, 2009

• We really loved Good Start.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:39 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I am so tired of people telling someone else why their supply is drying up. My dd has decided at 9 months that she doesn't want to nurse. So while I ve tried everything and pumping every three hours my supply is still dropping. Similac advance is what I have been using and she does fine. Good luck
    Anonymous

• ive heard try fenugreek to keep your supply up.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 8:50 PM on May. 14, 2009

• well you know Anon 8:47, its not really true that milk can "just dry up" Theres always a reason and if the reason can be found then it can be solved and THIS mom(OP) said she would like to keep nursing, so why not give her the info so she can...I never dissed her asking about formula, just gave some helpful info since she said she'd like to continue
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:29 PM on May. 14, 2009