what do you think of chores for a 3 year old?

I think it's a bit too early to be doing it, but just wondering what others think about chore scheduling for a child as young as three..

mamajody0507

Asked by mamajody0507 at 8:30 PM on May. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• My 3 year old feeds the cats, helps pick up the toys, helps make her bed in the morning, hangs her own towel up, puts her clothes in the hamper, and helps to clear the table after dinner.

My 5 year old had the same chores at 3. Now, he helps me out by dusting, vacuuming, helping to sweep, he enjoys mopping...those things aren't even his chores. He just helps out because in our family that's what you do.

They are walking around like they are 10 feet tall when they find out they've earned a new chore.

Little kids are a lot more capable of doing things than I think most people think they are. And they enjoy it.
    misselphaba

Answer by misselphaba at 8:37 PM on May. 14, 2009

• To young wait till there about 6 or 7.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:31 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I think it's good. My 3 year old has them.
    misselphaba

Answer by misselphaba at 8:31 PM on May. 14, 2009

• help picking up their toys. I wouldn't go much more than that

Answer by admckenzie at 8:31 PM on May. 14, 2009

• the only thing i have my 3yr old do is pick up his room.... and maybe if he wants to help mommy take the garbage out ill let him carry the bag from the bathroom... but thats it... i dont want him to grow up too fast he is just a baby still and needs to be a kid now
    Anonymous

• umm only things I would do is pick up your room and take the toys you have laying around back into your room...maybe takeing his cup/plate and setting on counter or in sink if she/he can reach or throwing a piece of garbage in the garbage can but thats about it.... lil things to give him/her the idea that he/she needs to help out...but not too extreme he is only 3.
    mom2twopreemies

Answer by mom2twopreemies at 8:38 PM on May. 14, 2009

• My 3 year old loves to help me. I don't make him, but he helps me put the clothes in the dryer and take the dishes out the dishwasher. I think its good to get them involved as early as possible. The only thing I "make" him do is pick up his toys. He doesn't mind, so it works out. I don't think I would punish a 3 year old for not doing chores, but I would def. encourage him/her!
    trendy4you

Answer by trendy4you at 8:41 PM on May. 14, 2009

• my daughter has helped set and clear the table for meals, cleans up her toys, helps with laundry, either putting in washer or dryer, helps put clothes away, she helps sweep, vaccuum..but none of these are her chores..she does it cuz she loves being my special lil helper!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 8:47 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I guess we don't really call them chores. I usually just say "okay, let's get our work done" and then we do it. Nobody gets in trouble for not doing them, I just call them and we do it together if it's something that needs doing (like the cats need food...I get in big trouble for just doing it for them ~ they feel a responsibility to get them done and get upset if I do it). Most of the time, one of the kids will say "okay, let's get our work done" before I have a chance to.
    misselphaba

Answer by misselphaba at 8:56 PM on May. 14, 2009

• i started at 2. my son cleans his room, he vaccummed (his choice) when we had carpet, he puts his clothes away in his designated color-coded drawers. he's 4 now. he taught him great responsibility. i let him help in the kitchen with cooking and he likes to put up the dishes below the cabinets like baking pans and bowls that he can reach. i love it! he's so helpful! my dd will be doing the same. i can't sit here and allow a child to literally trash a house and i run and pick everything up. i'm very proud to have such a helpful and responsible child. he even has his own dog that he fed and watered and loved it! you instill the values as early and things get easier as they get older
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 9:09 PM on May. 14, 2009