COULD A TWO YR.OLD BE TREATED FOR A LAZY EYE?

MY SILS SON SEEMS TO HAVE SOMETHING WRONG W/ONE OF HIS EYEBALLS. WOULD IT BE TOO EARLY FOR AN EYE APPT?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:30 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• no way! I had lazy eye when I was young. I spent many years with patches over my eyes trying to correct my lazy eye. I would go see an eye dr asap. The sooner that diagnosis and treatment begins the better.
    tabbykat6802

Answer by tabbykat6802 at 8:34 PM on May. 14, 2009

• my daughter just had an eye appt and she is 15 mo old! i had a lazy eye as a kid and it turned out i had a cataract so if i were you i would get it checked out just to be on the safe side!
    KimberlyAnn85

Answer by KimberlyAnn85 at 10:09 PM on May. 14, 2009

• OH WOW...TELLING HER TO CALL AN EYE DOC. RIGHT AWAY. THANX MOMMA'S!
    Anonymous

• No no no - CALL and GO ASAP. The longer she waits, the more likely his brain is to start ignoring that eye and once those nerves are ignorned, it's almost impossible to get them back.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:41 PM on May. 14, 2009

• no the younger its treated the better. Lazy eye is usually treated by covering the stronger eye forcing the lazy one to man up. So to speak.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:34 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Call a pediatric Opthamologist.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on May. 15, 2009

• No. My Aunt had a lazy eye (we hear this story every summer lol) and she had hers corrected at 5 months old.
    qtmomof2

Answer by qtmomof2 at 7:59 AM on May. 15, 2009

• My son had and still has a lazy eye. I believe we went to the eye doctor right after his 1st birthday. He didn't really do anything for him though. Just told us to keep an eye on it. It shows up more when he is tired.
    bradandadamsmom

Answer by bradandadamsmom at 8:00 AM on May. 15, 2009

• No. Contact an eye doctor right away. It can be corrected. The sooner the better.
    tel4him

Answer by tel4him at 8:01 AM on May. 15, 2009

• No, it's not too young. If they are having trouble with crossed eyes beyond 8 weeks of age you can even take them in. The early it's caught the better chances of successful treatment. My son started having trouble at 2.5. He would only go cross-eyed sometimes and at first he would just do it on demand. I thought he was being silly. But then it started happening anytime he was sleepy, so I took him in at 3. He needed bifocals and we tried patching for 6 months, but his eyes were getting worse and both were starting to go crossed. 6 weeks ago he had strabismus surgery on both eyes to pull the muscles into alignment. He just had his 6 week post-op check on Tuesday and he no longer needs glasses AT ALL and his first surgery was a success... he won't need another (sometimes they can need more than 1, but the younger it is caught, the less likely that they will need more than 1 surgery, IF it even comes to that- often it doesn't!!)
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 8:16 AM on May. 15, 2009