My little girl just got her tonsils out...

... and she's doing GREAT. She's drinking lots of apple juice, has been eating apple sauce and yogurt and is sitting up playing with me on the couch.

When your little one got their tonsils out, when did you let them start eating regular foods? She just had her surgery this morning, so obviously today and tomorrow for sure she'll just have brothy chicken noodle soup and other smooth foods, but she's doing SO much better than I anticipated.

If she continues to do well, do you think she'll be good with spaghetti-o's come Saturday? When does she get cereal again? I'm planning to keep her home from preschool for a week, but she already seems like her old self, so I don't know when she's actually well enough for regular food. Just wondering about your personal experiences, thanks!

toriandgrace

Asked by toriandgrace at 8:32 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Remember there is a certain honeymoon period after surgery. She may feel much worse in about 2-3 days. Right now things can still be numb. Definitely keep sticking with the soft foods and just take it from there. She will let you know how things are feeling in a few days and then you can adjust her diet accordingly.

I hope she continues to heal nicely !!! I had my tonstils out at age 15 after they were severly infected so things were much worse for me recovery wise.

J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 8:36 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I'm glad your daughter is doing well, but if you don't mind me asking why did she get her tonsils taken out? Was it because she got throat infections alot? Because my six year old daughter is constantly sick with her throat and misses alot of school because of it but her doctor says that taken her tonsils out doesn't always help but I've been wanting to take her to a specialist.
    mom2four25

Answer by mom2four25 at 8:36 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I think that as long as she is getting her antibiotics with the excellent time so far that she will be okay.
    Anonymous

• Couple of things maybe I should have added: She's not getting antibiotics because they aren't necessary and she's allergic to penicillin. She won't tell me how she's feeling because she's only three and has developmental and speech delays.

She had them out because they were huge and it was affecting her sleeping, eating and breathing.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 8:52 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Do you guys use sign language ? I guess it's too late, but in the future teaching her the sign for "hurt" would be useful in these situations. I recommend www.signingtime.com ( they are expensive so if money is tight just get the first video).

My son who is on the Autism spectrum really picked up on it since it's visual and sign language actually boosts speech and IQ. I consider it an awesome thing for special needs kids.

Sorry I can't help more on when she can eat cereal etc....I just don't remember. Good to hear though she is not on antibiotics for no reason. Ugh both my kids are allergic to penicillin too.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 9:35 PM on May. 14, 2009

• My son had his tonsils out and didn't eat solids for 3 weeks (he had to have the incision redone because he snuck a poptart and tore it open). His doc told me soft foods for 1 week (until his check up). He ate a lot of pudding, popsicles, chicken soup, noodles. Nothing red or purple (just in case he started bleeding, which he did).

She should be on antibiotics, there are others that she could take. My son is also allergic to penecillin and he had antibiotics after his surgery to prevent infections.

Try Cream of Wheat or oatmeal. Keep her hydrated with clear liquids. My son couldn't tolerate cold liquids, everything had to be room temp.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:37 PM on May. 14, 2009

• none of my kids have had them out. However when I got mine out oh way back in 1976 I was in the hospital for two days-the night before and the night of the surgery and was told I could only have soft cold food for a week.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:44 PM on May. 14, 2009