Why doesn't she want to eat?

My 5 year old daughter is going through some kind of change she used to eat just about everything you put in front of her.
Now it is like she is all picky on what she eats, it makes me mad and worried bc she complains about her stomach hurting but yet when we are not paying no mind to her she looks ok. My concern would be that what if something IS happening in her tummy and my dh and I are just chalking it up as nothing. How can I take her to the doctor and then what she looks like a normal little girl. All the doctor is going to do is prescribe her medicine but for what. What would you do? Thanks Ladies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 PM on May. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• is she having BM's everyday? if she's constipated she would feel full and not want to eat but may be getting cramps every now and then. keep her hydrated give her some apple or prun juice
    northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 8:58 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I agree with PP, watch for how often she poops. She may be saying her belly hurts because she isn't hungry. If she's not growing she may not have as big of an appetite as she normally did. Also, peoples taste buds change over time so if she's saying she doesn't like something, as long as she tastes it and really doesn't like it (and not just saying she doesn't like it to get something 'better' to eat). Just don't push her to eat, substitute juice with pedialyte for extra vitamins and nutrients if you are worried about her not getting enough.
    mommabear2008

Answer by mommabear2008 at 9:28 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I agree with momma bear and pp.... My daughter has the same problem. She is on a powder laxitive. And it helps out a lot. She would go a week without pooping, and her appetite sucked. We are on a great road now though. She takes the powder every morning and sits on the toilet everynight. And she is now eating like a pig./...LOl
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on May. 15, 2009

• She is five and she won't starve if she skips a meal. Make sure that she is drinking plenty of water and eating nutrition foods. She should be eating a variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, lentils tofu, etc.
    Kids love to dip; you can give her cut up veggies and a dish of ranch dressing or hummus; you can give her cut up fruit and a dish of yogurt for dipping.
    Kids are more likely to eat meals that they help prepare. Take her to the library and let her pick out a kids cookbook (my favorite it called Pretend Soup), there is also a fun kids cooking website at www.spatulatta.com. Let her pick a recipe and prepare it for the family.
    Take her to the grocery store and let her pick a new vegetable or fruit to introduce to the family (jicama, eggplant, starfruit, etc.).
    I have never met a kid that wouldn't eat anything with peanut sauce.
    Feel free to contact me directly for recipes, too.
    -Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 10:52 AM on May. 15, 2009