Cub scouts: What happens at meetings and how much work does the den mother do?

I am thinking about signing my son up for cub scouts next year (he is in kindergarten this year). I will be working 4 days (during school hours) and have 2 younger children, but was asked to be the den mother and am wondering if I have enough time for it. Can anyone out there let me know how much work it is and what the den mother does?

lvillemom

Asked by lvillemom at 9:03 PM on May. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My experience was like the poster above but it was important to me that my son be in it so I did it. I had two younger daughters who helped. It's not time consuming planning the activities, the handbook does all that for you. Just set up the schedule and plan when and were the meetings are. I had a lady who didn't help but she let me use her house for the meetings. The big problem was fund raisers. Getting help with that sucked. We sold candy and the kids took their candy home and ate it. The parents wouldn't pay for it and I got stuck paying for it all. I just did it the one year and quit

Answer by admckenzie at 9:17 PM on May. 14, 2009

• My experience as a Mom of a scout is there are usually only one or two who help and do all the work. Everyone else is 'too busy' like you don't have other thiungs to do. I was a den mother for 2 years. When I quit the pack broke up because none of the other NINE moms would step up. Talking to others it isn't just boy scouts, it's scouting in general. It's also homeroom, PTO, soccer teams, football boosters. It's always the same few people all the time doing the work. It got really old after a while.
    Anonymous

• thanks ladies. Are the fundraisers required. Could I just raise the fee and cut out the fundraising? Also could I just cut the meetings in half (maybe every other week) or do you have to do it by the book?
    lvillemom

Answer by lvillemom at 9:22 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I was a girl scout leader for 4 years. One other mom and I did ALL the work. We were a very active troop with 20, yes 20, girls. It was insane! When I moved, I decided not to do it anymore. My daughter's not interested in joining a troop here unless I'm going to be the leader, but my son wants to join boy scouts next year. I'm not sure what I'll do. I really don't want to have all my extra time consumed by scouting again. It's a lot of hard work if you're going to do it right.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 7:13 PM on May. 15, 2009