Is it selfish of me?

My dad had a best friend his whole life they were more like brothers though, His friend was always close to the family and was there for most of my life while growing up. My dad and him fell out of touch around 12 years ago, My dad always wanted to find him but wanted me to do it (he is simply lazy no better way of putting it) anyways I finally found my dad's best friend last night and had a 4 hour conversation with him. Out of enjoyment I called my dad to let him know that Steve was found. I found out today that my dad and other family are meeting up with Steve tomorrow leaving me in the dust because I live 3 hours away. Meanwhile I am glad they get to see eachother but I feel like I should have been included, it was my time and effort of searching for over a year and a half to find him and it seems like everyone is now getting the enjoyment out of it but me. Maybe its my hormones or something I don't know but I am angry I

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• feel like I should have been included some how and in some way. My dad loves to walk all over people just so he can get
    his way, he has been like this my whole life. I know how he is but I was really looking forward to seeing Steve. Am
    I being too selfish for wanting this?
    Anonymous

• No you are not selfish, just say something. I would. I would explain that my feelings were hurt. Steve means something to many in your family, and that includes you too. It could have been just a careless oversight, but say something so it does not eat you up.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 9:05 PM on May. 14, 2009

• My best friend disappeared. She went on a trip and never came back. No one knows what happened to her. I really miss her and still think of her. We were inseperable. It's been 13 years. I would just like to know that she is ok.
    Anonymous

• Teachermom I did tell my dad how IO felt he then proceeded to laugh and say well if I can make it Fresno by dinner time tomorrow night then I can see him as well then hung up, my dad knows that isn't possible for us so it's like he was making it worse.

Anon I am really sorry that, that happend my heart goes out to you
    Anonymous

• Did you do it for yourself or your dad? Sit back and enjoy the process you put in motion. Your time will come to be a part of the whole thing. Being 3 hours away, would you have gone? A true gift is something we give when we expect nothing in return. Even though a "thank you" is nice, don't expect even that. Give gifts for the joy of seeing other people happy. You don't have to be there for that! You did a good thing for your dad. Enjoy the feeling of that and leave the rest behind.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:19 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I had a best friend I grew up with and lost touch with her for about 5yrs and when I finally found her and talked 2 her again, she was drunk and she cussed me out. Now sadly Ill probably never talk 2 her again simply bcuz I don't want my dd around stuff like that, how ironic, I wanted 2 see her so she can meet my dd, but bcuz she allows herself 2 get drunk I don't want her near my dd
    Anonymous

• Its not selfish, to want to see the person YOU worked so long and hard to find
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 9:31 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Jesse I did it for him and I Steve is like a 2nd father to me so I have really missed him for the last 12 years
    Anonymous

• No, you are not being selfish. Did your dad at least say "Thank you"!? Now, was it simply their excitement and their closer availability to get together before telling you and making it possible for you to be there? Maybe not on purpose to exclude you!?!?
    Also, maybe you can all get together again when you ARE able to all meet?!?...You may have to be the one to make this happen since you stated your dad is not necessarily the most non-lazy or responsible person to make this happen! Maybe there are a few others, as you, that were excluded on this impromptu meeting and would love for you - or someone like you - to make this event happen!
    I just hope that you don't stay sour over this - get together w/all, too!
    ...tink
    jdtink

Answer by jdtink at 10:38 PM on May. 14, 2009