Fastest way to be able to walk on my sprained ankle:

I just sprained my ankle this morning. After it happened I was able to carefully walk on it and the pain wasn't that bad. Now it does hurt too bad to walk on. I don't really care how long it takes to fully recover, I just want to be able to put weight on it and walk ASAP...Like hopefully tomorrow night.
Suggestions?

Mari_C

Asked by Mari_C at 9:49 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Health

• You more than likely just STRAINED your ankle, not sprained it. A sprain is a tearing of the tendons around the ankle, a strain is a over stretching of the ligaments around the ankle bone (actually the base of one of your shin bones).

Anyway, since you CAN put weight on it, I would get yourself TWO (Ace) Elastic Bandages, and wrap it around the arch of your foot and just above the ankle in a "figure 8" pattern. Then place a crushed Ziploc bag of ice over the injured area, and using the 2nd Ace bandage, secure the ice to your ankle. Then prop up your foot, and rest it for at least 20-30 minutes every hour (the more the better). When the ice is melted, wait an hour and repeat--as long as you feel pain.

Remember the acronym: R.I.C.E = Rest, Ice, Compression (Ace) and Elevation.

I would then keep using the Ace bandage without ice for a few days afterwards to help with stability and lessen the chance of re-injuring it!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:00 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Yeah I didn't think it was as severe as a sprain; I guess I did just strain it!
    Thanks for your suggestions!
    Mari_C

Answer by Mari_C at 10:03 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Keep off of the ankle as much as possible. Ice it and keep it wrapped with an Ace Bandage. My son sprains his ankle atleast 2 times a baseball season, and it takes a few days to 1 week for him to put all his weight on it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:37 PM on May. 14, 2009