• In the Spotlight:

Do you trust doctors?

I'm torn.

I trust medical SCIENCE...but not the medical INDUSTRY.

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 10:09 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Health

• no and I just fired my Ob this week , I found better care,actual care with a great midwife!
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 10:34 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I would like to talk to you if you are interested in an herbal program. Email me if you want.
    GarlicMom

Answer by GarlicMom at 10:11 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Doctors are products of both science and industry. I trust my doctor. We were also once collegues together at the same facility. He knows that I am an informed member of my medical care, can make good decisions and that I won't sue him. A doctor being able to trust you is just as important as you being able to trust them.

Would I trust any old doctor? Absolutely not. The care that many doctors give nowadays is a product of a frivilous-lawsuit-crazed society. They say what's safe to say (usually some government guideline and I absolutely DO NOT trust the government when it comes to my health care) and many are afraid to go out on a limb because if they're wrong they'll get nailed for it. Doctors are no longer allowed to be human beings or make honest mistakes. It's why malpractice insurance costs an upwards of $90,000 PER YEAR. It's why many doctors are leaving their specialties.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:13 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I am far more likely to trust a Dr who is willing to talk to me and listen to what I have to say. The ones that think they're god and should be blindly followed piss me off.
    That's why I LOVE my ND.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 10:14 PM on May. 14, 2009

• (cont.) It's why hospitals are concerned about not having doctors to deliver babies and why I'd have to travel 45 minutes to the nearest trauma center because no local hospitals have trauma surgeons/specialists. When someone works in a business where one day they can be treating patients and the next they could be in court facing a million dollar lawsuit over something stupid....they can't completely trust anyone and therefore, you can't completely trust them.

WE have RUINED our health care system. Stupid lawsuits/abuse of the health care system = high malpractice insurance = high charges for medical care = high charges for health insurance = high insurance permiums = people without insurance because they can't afford it. We complain about it but it all comes down to how you and I treated the system to begin with.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:17 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I trust my doctor and my sons doctor with our lives. If I didn't I wouldn't be going to either one of them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:35 PM on May. 14, 2009

• You're where I am. I trust medical science - a lot.
    What I DON'T trust are the people who make money OFF of practicing medicine. One thing you learn in this country all the time is that people will go to scary extents for money.
    It's why I'm not afraid to doctor hop until I find someone I trust - my PA is awesome. She is NEVER afraid to say "I don't know, I'll look it up" and call me back personally with what she's found. She isn't afraid to ask for a second opinion from the staff's doctor. She listens to me and takes my opinions and thoughts into consideration. In other words, she is my PARTNER in my care, instead of trying to be an arrogant boss.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 10:47 PM on May. 14, 2009

• As a whole, no, not really. However, there are times when you may have to trust a physician (perhaps your life is in their hands) and so I like to think I hold a little faith still. I also know not ALL doctors are "evil" or have misplaced priorities, but I do believe most of them do.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 10:54 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I trust MY dr. She is more holistic than "just" a doctor. Plus she's cool and talks to you like a friend who happens to have a medical degree instead of making you feel ignorant like my last (male) dr did.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:20 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I agree with you that I trust the medical science, but not the industry. Our doctor is great, but I don't completely trust him because he is human too and humans make mistakes. Our doc listens and has no issue with me doing my own research and coming to him to discuss it. He doesn't have that "god" complex most doctors do. I lost all faith when it took me 3 years to be diagnosed with my thyroid problem. Every do refused to test me (a simple blood test) because I was too young, but I had a family history of it. After 3 docs I found the one I am with now and the first thing he wanted to do was test my thyroid and guess what the problem was!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:33 AM on May. 15, 2009