Little girl's first possible UTI? Need help!

My daughter turns 3 tomorrow and tonight she started screaming when she peed. She said her "pee" was a "monster". I haven't dealt with those issues since I was little so I took her to the walk-in. They tried to get a sample from her but she was too scared to try. We're supposed to try to get the sample tonight or tomorrow morning to bring in right away.

My question is, do UTI's cause pain in the vaginal area too? Her whole area is red but there's no discharge or anything. I also wondered what a labial adhesion looked like. I took a baby wipe to clean her down there really well and the whole area seemed to bother her.

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 10:18 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My lo's was really red and hurt, she wouldn't even let me look much less use a wipe. The doc said to give her lots of fluids and maintain good hygiene, and he gave her some antibiotics. She got over it pretty quick after that.
    NicMorgan

Answer by NicMorgan at 10:25 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Does your child take bubble baths? If so that can really enhance an little girls chance of catching a UTI. My daughter has urethral reflux disease, she is missing a valve to her kidney so her urine backflows and she has these all the time. The doctor put her on a low dose antibiotic for several months at a time to keep the infection down. Another way of catching a UTI is if your LO wipes from back to front, as the bacteria can easily access the urethral track on a little girl. Give her lots to drink and try to catch her first morning potty trip when you know she will have to use the potty. That is how I get my daughter to give her urine samples for the doctor. The wipes they give you to clean with do burn if there is some irritation going on in the vaginal area. She might also complain of abdominal pain and have a slight fever too, take care and push clear fluids.
    Anonymous

• I got them all the time when i was a kid and i had to stop taking baths and my mother would always make me cranberry juice and 7-up mixed together because i didnt like plain cranberry always made me feel better!
    nursinghannah

Answer by nursinghannah at 11:27 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Take her to the doctor and get her checked out. It could be a UTI or it could be something else. An allergic reaction to bubble bath or soap.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:47 AM on May. 15, 2009

• My daughter used to get red like that and complained it hurt to pee when she was first potty trained. She wasn't wiping well enough and got an infection.
    Anonymous

• I hope they did not treat her because they could not get a sample; UTIs are so painful. There is a drug (turns pee orange) that lessens the pain of a UTI, that they can give her.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 1:08 PM on May. 15, 2009

• my daughter had three utis and had a whole buncha tests because of it. Each one was different and one of them sounded like what ur daughter is experiencing. Also her the first one her urine smelled really bad like a fishy kinda smell and it washer urine not her that smellled that way. We figured out that they were from her holding in her poopy. We had a long long long problem with that with her. she wouldnt poop anywhere and would hold it in untill she couldnt anylonger and it was coming out. Now that that problem is gone she hasnt had a uti since.
    cudybug

Answer by cudybug at 4:37 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Are you sure its not a infection ' my sister in law little was all red and sore and even itchy at times the doctors told her it was an infection. and gave her some kind of medicine for it and now shes all better. yeH THE POOR THING WAS CRYING AND SCRESMING WHEN SHE PEED TOO.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:51 AM on May. 16, 2009