Do you think Biodiesel fuel should be the ONLY choice?

Typically, diesel engines get better gas mileage and it will reduce our need of foreign oil. Do you think that ONLY bio-diesel fuel should be allowed? Why doesn't our government require everyone with a diesel engine to use B20 (a blend of 20 percent biodiesel with 80 percent petroleum diesel)?

here is a great link to a fact sheet.

http://www.biodiesel.org/pdf_files/fuelfactsheets/CommonlyAsked.PDF

check out more at www.biodiesel.org

thundernlight

Asked by thundernlight at 10:21 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Absolutely! It's much better for the environment, and ends up being considerably cheaper. That's exactly why I can't see it being exclusive any time soon. Who is going to make as much money off of it?
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 4:09 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Not until companies that produce bio-fuels can turn a profit. Right now it is cost prohibitive to produce these fuels and companies that are making them are going broke (not all but some). In this current economic climate it would IMO, be wise to hold off on eliminating choices for people. Again, this would mostly effect those that can't afford it. While white collar jobs can be changed a little to telecommute, the blue collar workers actually need to show up at a location to do their jobs.   I think they should keep offering it as an alternative if bio-fuel companies want to keep making their product. 

Like I said, JMO, but this isn't the time.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/biz/6419497.html

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:21 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Nope - that would been an insane price hike that no one could afford - first on the fuel, and second on vehicles that can use it.

That would make all of our standard gas cars suddenly obsolete, and requiring the production of new eco-cars is actually much worse for the planet than people just using the old clunkers they already have.

I'd rather see it naturally emerge into the market by itself.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 11:27 AM on May. 15, 2009

• That would make all of our standard gas cars suddenly obsolete, and requiring the production of new eco-cars is actually much worse for the planet than people just using the old clunkers they already have. ~ mogencreative

OMG, I can't believe I didn't think of that. You are absolutely correct on that one. I don't think a lot of people even think about that fact. Very good answer!

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:43 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Thanks.

If biofuels can effectively make it in a competitive market, then I think it would be okay to start making the majority of new cars that way. It would naturally replace the old gas models in an envrionmentaly and economically responsible way.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 12:00 PM on May. 15, 2009