Should marriage be the property of the Church or the State?

I believe in the sepperation of Church and State, and when it comes to the business of "marriage" we either need to get the Church out of it, or the State.
Either strip from all the clergy in America the ability to sign the legal document binding two people together in the eyes of the State...you could still have a religious ceremony, but either way you need to go before a Judge to sign the paper.
or
Get the State out of it. Nix the tax benefits. Nix the insurance. Nix automatic inheritance. Nix all the legal rights. Make marriage purely religious.

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 10:54 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Take the church out of the civil contract that we call marriage. If one chooses to have a religious ceremony or blessing that is their perogative but for state recognition and benefits have a judge, clerk or JoP handle it.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 12:52 PM on May. 15, 2009

• God didn't invent marriage, unless he sanctioned all the Roman, Navajo, Hindu, and OTHER marriages formed by OTHER religions with OTHER Gods. The Mayans had marriage, the Incas had marriage, most indigenous tribes who had never heard of the Christian God had marriage.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 8:22 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Man invented Marriage.....I know I personally dont want to get married in a church. I would just love to get married. But some people who believe in some imaginary long haired hippy lookin dude in a dress say he hates gays and we are less then human beings and dont deserve it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:24 AM on May. 15, 2009

• LOL...Oh sure. As if. God invented marriage and he only gives you the number of children you should have so....forget about birth control and just keep popping them out. Oh,and don't even bother to think or reason or use logic or try to accept everyone....all that thinking has already been done for you: Its in the Bible,you know. Don't you know that there is only one God and he says that all other religions are wrong and the Christians are the only correct and true church? LOL. I just get a kick out of all the posts about that stuff. Oh my.... It sure makes it easy,doesn't it, to just let God do all the work and you don't have to do a thing? Hah.Wake up!!! Think!
    Marriage is different in so many societies , countries and religions. Marriage can be a legal contract ....just read a little bit,okay? separation of church and state. Very important.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Did you know that Celtics used to get married just by staring at each others right eye for 5 minutes? I wonder what the Christian extremists would think about that....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Many of the benefits that are currently provided to married couples play an important role in our society. For instance married spouses are given access to each others health care insurance, and since there are still many single income homes; many families rely on this privilege. Nationalized health care would be necessary to offset this loss. In the case of immigration laws, the INS considers a married couple a single unit and so residency is given to immigrant spouses of American citizens. The idea is to not break-up families. One offered alternative is to eliminate immigration laws altogether, but then terrorism and overcrowding become issues. Since a spouse is considered next-of-kin, married persons are given certain legal privileges that allow them to act on behalf of the other when the other cannot do so themselves such as consenting to medical procedures and wrongful death suits. This next-of-kin status also gives
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 11:06 PM on May. 14, 2009

• A feasible alternative would be allowing people to designate next-of-kin; this would allow you to choose any number of people. It could be anyone whether family or friend. Financial benefits that are given to married couples or surviving spouses by various government institutions such as: the IRS, Social Security, Medicare, Veteran Affairs, etc., would no longer be given. In all there are over 1,049 U.S. laws that refer to marriage; so many changes would have to be made.
    momandvet

• The tax benefits and insurance are bribes to keep us a puritanical society.....
    and so the gov can keep getting the marriage fees that go with the license....
    Anyway, I got married by a justice of the peace who also said a marriage prayer with us (with our permission)...but I agree, it can't be both, they are supposed to be seperate right? do I have to file my first communion withh the giv too???
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:10 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Why can't it be both? The idea of separation of Church and State was set in place so the government couldn't dictate a religion over everyone (like they did in England causing the Puritans to leave and come to America. . . ) So as long as the government doesn't try dictating what church you have to get married at or try to force churches to marry those that go against their beliefs (read same sex marriage) then it shouldn't be any problem. On the flip side I don't feel the Church should have any say in a government performing or recognizing a marriage (again read same sex marriage) Just my opinion. . .

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:45 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Baptism and christening are no longer the legal way to name a baby or pick guardians for your child. And when my atheist BIL got married, he had a JP and insisted God wouldn't be mentioned in any way, shape or form. Yet we still call that a marriage.

I would be comfortable having legal unions for everyone, and than have Church marriages separate.  I've heard that is how they do it in Germany.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:42 AM on May. 15, 2009