Prayer instead of medical help?

I am watching the local news right now. In Wausaw, WI, a child died of un-diagnosed childhood diabetes because her parents did not take her to the hospital. They knew she was near death, but yet they prayed intead. They claim they never thought she would die. They thought God would heal her if they prayed hard enough.

The implications of this case could change the laws on this subject in WI. What do you think? Are they guilty of neglecting their child to the point of death? Or do they have the right to practice their religion even to the point that this happens?

metalcowgirl34

Asked by metalcowgirl34 at 11:08 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• neglect. they have a right to practice their religion but until she is of an age of accountabliity they should not force those beliefs onto her. My child has diabetes and let me tell you that child was tortured. I have seen my child when he has very high blood sugar and it is scary and he is miserable.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 11:17 PM on May. 14, 2009

• i think that they are guilty of neglect i believe in god and the power of prayer but god ask us to do for our selves and then when we can do no more or take no more then that is when we are to rely on him.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 11:11 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Sounds like child neglect to me. People shouldn't use their religion to justify their disgusting neglect of their very own child. They probably just didn't want to pay hospital bills.
    smull1

Answer by smull1 at 11:13 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I agree....I don't believe in any higher power.....but I do know when I was younger and being raised Christian, I was definitely NOT taught that I could just sit back and make God do things for me!
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 11:14 PM on May. 14, 2009

i was kinda of wondering the same thing with the hospital bills..
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 11:15 PM on May. 14, 2009

• They have the right to practice their religion. Church and state are seperate for a reason.

In this case, I wouldn't blame the death of their daughter on their religion though. They aren't of a religion that forbids medical care. It seems like they were unaware (or strangely ignorant) of how sick she was and didn't know she needed care or were too lazy to get it. Blaming why they didn't get her help on their religion to stay out of trouble is just going to make religion look bad.

Religion isn't just "play time" to some people. It's the REAL DEAL. Their soul is at stake and they REALLY believe what they believe. When it comes to accepting a medical proceedure and living to an average span of 70 years OR denying a medical proceedure that they think is a sin and getting to spend ETERNITY in paradise (or whatever their religion says) can you blame them for choosing to deny the medical proceedure?
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:17 PM on May. 14, 2009

• It said in the news report that she was extremely weak and unable to talk or walk.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 11:18 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Medicine isn't just about keeping people alive for as long as possible. It is also about maintaining the quality of life and the autonomy of the individual. If forcing a medical proceedure on someone lessens their quality of life and strips them of their autonomy because they truly believe what has been subjected to them has caused them to commit a grave sin...what have you really saved them from any way?

My religion does not forbid medical care. I can still empathize though. If there was a law that would cause me to have to violate my religion, I would not follow it. I feel that strongly about it and I don't expect people who aren't religious to understand.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:19 PM on May. 14, 2009

• They killed their child , november. NO if's and's or but's about it. They obviously knew she was sick and did nothing about it. Like PP said, God expects you to do for yourself before you turn to him. Take personal responsibility for your life and your child! they killed their child and should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
    smull1

Answer by smull1 at 11:21 PM on May. 14, 2009

• (this goes along with my previous posts which were about religion in-general and not in defense of these parents)...

You can't expect people who TRULY believe in their religion and believe their religion will save the souls of their children to not "force their religion" on their children. If, for example, getting a blood transfusion meant your child would go to hell, what parent that HONESTLY believed that would let their kid get a blood transfusion? To live an extra 60 years and trade it in for an eternity of torment? How could they lived with themselves knowing they damned their child and the child living knowing he/she is damned? If you cannot empathize with a deeply religious person, you shouldn't force your beliefs on them either.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:22 PM on May. 14, 2009