What if your husband gives you a bad gift?

Hubby gave me earrings "from" our 1y/o for Mother's Day.
I don't wear earrings. I hate them.
I mean, I totally appreciate the gift...he's a jeweler...he assembled them!
But I don't wear earrings. My ears were piersed years ago...but I don't wear them any more.
And I told him so.
I'm a bold blunt person with a bad case of foot-in-mouth disease.
I think I hurt his feelings.
But isn't it better to be honest?

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 11:09 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Relationships

• you are not his mom. he should not have given you anything. quit griping
    Anonymous

• not with stuff like that, you couldve kept your thoughts to yourself put a smile on your face and say thank you... only wear them "once in a while" like if you two go out to a really nice dinner or something. and next time think how it would make you feel if the roles were "switched"
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 11:15 PM on May. 14, 2009

• you didn't have to sit there and tell him you didn't like them. you could have been nicer to him. you'll be lucky if you get anything next year.
    Anonymous

• In my opinion, no. I would wear them for special occasions only. Or just hold on to them, your daughter could wear them one day if you never want to wear earrings again. But then again, I'm one of those people who if my daughter, or even I get a present that I already have, I just won't mention it and I will either return it if I can, or hold on to it for later, etc. If someone put a lot of thought into doing something nice for you, why hurt their feelings unnecessarily.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 11:16 PM on May. 14, 2009

• The fact that he assembled them, yeah, that was kind of mean. He probably spent a lot of time on them. If I made something for my husband, and he said he didn't like it, I would be crushed.
    Anonymous

• maybe he thought you didn't wear earings because you didn't have any. he put time and effort into it and you were unappreciative. It really is the thought that counts. In the future you will recieve ugle gifts from you child that they made for you I hope you hold your tongue better when the time comes.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 11:29 PM on May. 14, 2009

• What if your husband gives you no gift? Hmmmm...
    BritlovesAva

Answer by BritlovesAva at 2:30 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Sometimes a white lie is the best way to go. Even if you hate it.
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 9:32 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I have to agree with these ladies. Seems like he put some love into it. My husband didn't do a thing for me for Mother's Day, doesn't really celebrate birthdays etc., I'm working on him LOL...but I would have been so happy for a gift like that.
    sukainah

Answer by sukainah at 9:59 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Honesty is ALWAYS the best policy.
    ONE bad gift...you lie and say you like it...means 20, 30, 40 years of bad gifts!
    I'd rather my man give me nothing then something I hated.

And I'd rather he be honest with me, so in the future, I'm not giving HIM a bunch of stuff he doesn't want.

YOU DID THE RIGHT THING BEING HONEST!!!
    Anonymous