Car seat question!PIOC

Okay, I have 2 kids. An 8mth old who is rear facing in a ETA in the middle seat and a 4 year old who is harnessed in a graco nautilus outboard behind the drivers seat. Ive been hearing lately that I should put my Forward facer in the middle since rear facing is safer and my forward facer needs as much protection as possible. My 8mth is only 18lbs so he has many more rear facing months to go. Should I switch their car seats around? Where are the best places in the car for them?

Auntiemom410

Asked by Auntiemom410 at 11:12 PM on May. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• the car seat that offers the least amount of protection should go in the most protected spot, so yes, it would be wise to put the ETA outboard and Nautilus in the middle, if it will fit.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 11:53 PM on May. 14, 2009

• My toddler is in the middle. That's because our middle seat is only a lap belt and you can't put a booster there. Not sure what we are going to do once she is big enough for a booster because we have no more available should/lap belts.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:57 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Yes you should switch them. As the seats get bigger the protection is less, less protected seats go in a more protected area. =)
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:58 PM on May. 14, 2009

• ahh.. okay. It just seems so scary to have my baby not in the middle. So he will be just as safe outboard as he was in the middle? Which side should he go on? Im thinking passenger because then I can still somewhat tend to him. Also, are the soft mirrors made by Fisher Price safe to put up on the head rest? Ive heard mixed reviews. I really am considering it because my son has a sensitive stomach and throws up often. This way I could see him... so the benefits outweigh the risks right?
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 12:01 AM on May. 15, 2009

• he wont be just as safe in the side seat but he will be safer there than your 4 year old would. Does that make sense? I dont think it really matters what side you put him on, I would do passenger because that would leave more room for your seat and you wouldnt be squished trying to drive. I'm not sure about the mirror things, I have one but I've also heard mixed reviews.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:20 AM on May. 15, 2009

• when in doubt, go the to police station and have them safety inspected. They will let you know
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on May. 15, 2009

• my duaghter has always been behind the pasanger seat. LATCH sytem canno tbe used in the middle and that povides the best install for my particular car seat. I don't htink it's that big of a deal to not hae either child in the middle. Yes it helps some, but it depends greatly on the type of accident. Most accidents are rear end collisions, so the placement of the seat isn't as important as if it was a side impact.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Yeah, my police dept is a joke. They know nothing about car seats. They told me just to turn him around at 1, and that my daughter should be in a LBB by now. JOKE!
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 11:09 AM on May. 15, 2009