Question about sippy cups

How old was your child when you started using sippy cups ? How do u know when they are ready for them? And what are good ones to start out with ?

zoeysmommy09

Asked by zoeysmommy09 at 11:27 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i started about 9 months, i like to use the soft top sippers bc they are like the bottle, but my kids did really good with the take and toss ones i think first years makes them. try those.
    trelyn

Answer by trelyn at 11:29 PM on May. 14, 2009

• ohh sorry, i just introduced them and little by little he got used to them. his sister is 1.5 yrs older than him so he always tried to steal hers, so it was sorta easy for me to see he was ready. try introducing it and if yours takes to it great, if not try again later. i think thats the easiest way.
    trelyn

Answer by trelyn at 11:32 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I was going to say the same thing about the "first years" sippy cups, they have a easy flow so it's a great transition between bottle and sippy cup ( I began using them here and there around 7-8 months and just used them more and more). However "the first years" cups don't have a controlled top so once your child gets older if they tip it over it may leak ALL OVER. Now that my son is 12 months I use Advent sippy cups, I love the controlled top and not having to scrub juice and milk out of my carpets.
    michelle0228

Answer by michelle0228 at 11:38 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I started about 8 months, if your child is holding his/her bottle well on there own I say why not try it. I use the soft top ones as well, theres a brand called Nuby that I have used and they are at walmart.
    JessicaNichole

Answer by JessicaNichole at 11:39 PM on May. 14, 2009

• we started around 5 months and we got the playtex soft tip ones. He kept wanting to drink out of our cups and did so pretty well. When I first gave it to him i took out the plastic thing that creates the need to suck, so I just tilted it a little, let him see that there was water in there and by the end of the day he had the hang of it with the suction thing in. O, he was never really on a bottle.
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 11:52 PM on May. 14, 2009

• It was around 7 months that my oldest liked to use cups and it was first years cups which seem to be really nice... but I would recommend buying a couple different kinds as playtex has some too that you just tip and the water or juice will just poor out which gets them to start wanting to suck etc..
    truckchickie

Answer by truckchickie at 3:53 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I started to introduce my son around 5 months when he could sit up and hold his own bottle. but he doesnt like them yet so I try to introduce every once in awhile. my son is now 9 months old and he is getting better at it. I have like 4 different kinds in my cabinet just to try them out. I havent tried the first years ones i should try them. but the nuby ones are just like drinking from a bottle so the ped told me not to use those, he needs to learn to drink not suck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on May. 15, 2009

• We started with water in a sippy around 10 months. Get Sigg or another stainless steel sippy.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:43 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Thank you everyone for your answers I know my daughter iant ready for a sippy cup yetbecause she is just starting to try and sit herself up and she trys to hold her bottle but for right now Ijust letting her go on her own pase I will look for the 1st years do they have them at walmart i live in a small town and the only store we have is walmart and one groccery store
    zoeysmommy09

Answer by zoeysmommy09 at 11:16 PM on May. 15, 2009