Does your 7 year old son do this?

For some unknown reason when he eats he is very messy well when I am not watching I get so upset with him and ask him...Do you have a hole in your lip?

Or do you want me to start putting a bib on you?

I don't get it why is he such a piglet?

His sister who is 5 yrs. old eats neater than him...what is going on? It's not like he shoves the food in his mouth, he is messy with chocolate though. Any idea? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on May. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I wonder if it could be a boy thing??? I have two boys 5 and 10 and the same thing happens when eat. It ends up everywhere but in their mouth!
    20hockeymom5

Answer by 20hockeymom5 at 11:36 PM on May. 14, 2009

• nope, i have the same thing with my seven yr old. i think its a boy thing though, my almost 3 yr old daughter isnt as messy, sorry nothing here, but im in the same boat!
    trelyn

Answer by trelyn at 11:38 PM on May. 14, 2009

• lol sounds like he's just doing what he can get away with... I'm betting that if you require him to eat with some manners that he'll shape up. Of course, he'll give you one hell of a fight but if you're consistent and stay strong through it he'll realize that you mean business and he'll eat without making a giant mess. He is certaintly old enough to understand what he's doing and he's doing it because he knows it upsets you... he's being wilfully defiant and I suggest you give him an ultimatum... you expect him to eat properly without making a huge mess, and if he does not than he won't be eating and he'll be sitting in time out.
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 11:39 PM on May. 14, 2009

• WOW..that's harsh!
    Anonymous

• make him clean it up. he'll stop. it works with my 4 year old.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 11:50 PM on May. 14, 2009

• My son will come home from school with barbecue sauce on his shirt, milk on his face, it doesn't matter! We had tacos for dinner tonight, and he had sauce and sour cream damn near to his eyebrows. I know how you feel. My daughter is only 15 months old, and he gets about as dirty as her. I will never understand it. I try and try to be on him, and I swear he isn't shoving food in either. My son cleans up his own mess, including sweeping under the table where he ate, because I thought that would help. It hasn't even fazed him.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:35 AM on May. 15, 2009

• LOL. We are going through this with my 10 year old son. It doesn't matter whether my husband and I are on top of the way he eats or not. He is messier than our 7 year old son. We have to correct him about his eating habbits--"pull the plate closer to you, use your fork, spoon, or knife, etc." Lately, he has been doing much better and the mess around his place at the table is much smaller now-a-days.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:55 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Yup, my 10 year old son does this too, heck sometimes my husband does, lol. I think that it seems as if boys are just a little more impatient with things. He is getting better though, thankfully. I just have to slow him down most of the time. But it is frustrating to see him all messy.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 1:07 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I think my 7 year old is a bottomless pit he never seems to get full and he eats so fast he makes a mess, I know he doesn't eat much at school-he has told me he talks and runs out of time- then he comes home and plays outside and I don't let him have a snack after a certain time so he will eat supper. My daughter is the opposite too so I agree it might be a boy thing
    BriceAllisonMom

Answer by BriceAllisonMom at 9:28 AM on May. 15, 2009

• That is funny, my 9 year old step son is super clean all the time, and his sister who is 7, wow she is a mess. She will eat and it be up to her eyebrows as well. But at our house we have gotten into a routine that they need to eat with manors. Whatever she did to get so messy has gotten better with us telling her to slow down and eat properly. At our tables we do not Talk through the whole meal and stuff. It is a nice relaxing meal with light conversations.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on May. 15, 2009