Your Thoughts on the Hep B Vaccine?

I am doing research on each individual vaccine for babies months 0-6. I'm starting with the Hep B one first.

I've found loads of resources and am going through them, does anyone know anything or have a link they want to add to my collection? I'm considering blogging and sharing it with others if I get enough info.

Tell me your thoughts.

NovemberLove

Asked by NovemberLove at 11:35 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• www.cdc.gov
    www.aap.org

I vaccinate. I investigated first. I have not vaccinated for chicken pox that was the only one I found reason not to vaccinate for
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:50 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I personally chose to vax my son and had no problems with it but if you want to get some different outlooks you could ask a non vax group, just an idea. Good luck.
    michelle0228

Answer by michelle0228 at 11:41 PM on May. 14, 2009

• my son had it.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 11:42 PM on May. 14, 2009

• i think u never know if someone holding your baby had a cut or baby puts a dirty band aid in its mouth ect., i think it is a good idea!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 11:43 PM on May. 14, 2009

• My son is vaxed. I'm afraid I might not be welcomed in those groups to be honest with you.

I'm asking because I can't find one reason not to get this particular vaccine. The most serious side-effect that it has is anaphylaxis (1 out of every 600,000 doses) and it is manufactured in an ethical manner. So I'm wondering why people decided not to get this one.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:44 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I agree 2mothershelpers.
    NovemberLove

• I gave my daughter all of her vaccines but refused the chicken pox one. However, they forced us to give it to her because she wouldn't be aloud to enter school without it... as soon as I gave it to her she broke out with the frickin chicken pox, and my son got them too. I WAS PISSED!
    I haven't heard anything bad about the hep b vaccine. I do know that Hepatitis B is a bad disease and it's really not something i'd really risk getting.
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 11:45 PM on May. 14, 2009

• my daughter did not get it until she was a year old. my child did not need to be loaded up with live viruses at hours old. the people most likely to get hep b are IV drug users, the elderly, people with tattoos and homosexuals. my daughter was not any of these at birth.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 11:49 PM on May. 14, 2009

• i don't vaccinate due to the ingredients. i am not comfortable injecting formaldehyde, antifreeze, mercury, fetal tissues, monkey liver tissues... etc etc, directly into my child's bloodstream. no thanks http://www.informedchoice.info/cocktail.html

llansky

Answer by llansky at 11:59 PM on May. 14, 2009

• As for live viruses, I'm not sure this vaccination counts. They immunize you using a protein created by the virus, not the virus itself.

As for virus communication, before the vaccine was created, 18,000 children per year contracted Hep B. Half were from their mothers at birth and the other half contracted it from casual contact as well as accidental exposure from people handling the children. Hep B is called "The Silent Epidemic" because it is possible to have it for years before you can tell you have it. http://www.chop.edu/consumer/jsp/division/generic.jsp

This is why I don't write vaccinations off as a whole. Not all are created equal.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:17 AM on May. 15, 2009