Child at a home birth??

Just curious has any mother here had their kids present when they were giving birth ???
Thanks any advice!!! Just curious and what age is more appropriate for this experience.

Leilany1019

Asked by Leilany1019 at 11:44 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (-3 Credits)
  • My daughter was present at my sons birth she was 2 at the time... it came recommended at my CBE class.. but I had an adult the the hospital just to take care of her (and not daddy) cause he was taking care of me LOL
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:45 PM on May. 14, 2009

• My daughter was three when I was pregnant with my son. She learned all about babies and went to most of my doctor appointments with me. She saw the utlrasound, she watched the Birth Day show, she knew what a c-section was, etc. She was well equiped to handle anything. I had her in my birthing suit with me, my husband, mother, and sister. She was PERFECT! I ended up having to have a c-section and she stayed with my mother and sister during, but saw me directly afterwards and the new baby too. Kids are open to learning about the natural things in life, I think it's definetly a good idea to educate them rather than stifle their intelligence.
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 11:47 PM on May. 14, 2009

• ohh...thats interesting and my daughter is that age.
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 11:47 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Yeah my daughter also watches the Birth Day show and I tell her look baby and when she sees the crib, she always ask me, where is baby??
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 11:49 PM on May. 14, 2009

• awww how cute! Sounds like she's preparing to be a little helper! Have you gotten her a baby doll to practice with? I always loved talking about all the things that needed to be done and how she could help feed her brother and sing him songs... She loved being involved and she is still a good helper, of course, they fight like every normal sister and brother too lol
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 11:53 PM on May. 14, 2009

• My son was 4 when I gave birth to my youngest son. We had moved to the area about 6 months prior to the birth. We had no family come because they lived so far away. We did know too many people that we could trust. When I was ready to start pushing, a couple nurses took my son into the waiting room just down the hall to wait until the baby and I were cleaned up. My dh and I didn't want him in the delivery room for several reasons. (1) He was talking and being noisy while playing. I was in so much pain every little noise annoyed me. When in that much pain, we say things that tend to be hurtful. (2) My dh and I felt that he was too young to know where babies come from. (3) When I was pushing, I was making loud noises. (While giving birth to my 4-year-old, I screamed every time I pushed because I was able to focus on pushing the baby out and the pain away. Every delivery is different.) I didn't want to scare him
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:02 AM on May. 15, 2009

• yeah I get you dustbunny and momofkearra yeah she has her little baby doll and brings it a binge and everything
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 1:13 AM on May. 15, 2009

• My children have never been at my births, but not because they weren't welcome or wanted, they were just not there! LOL The first time, my daughter slept through her sister's birth, the next time they were in school :( I hope they can all be there next time! :)
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 4:02 AM on May. 15, 2009