Volunteering as a family?

I want to start getting my family into volunteering but I am unsure what there is for a family like us. There is my hubby, my 16month old and myself. I know my son is still very young but I want to teach him caring as much as possible. Any ideas?

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 11:49 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• offer to make playdates. give another mom a day off. it will be greatly appreciated i bet. collect teddy bears and give them to the pediatric places. whenever my kids want to give away their toys i let them cuz they are learning to be generous. mostly its all the snacks in the house that go first though.
    mamita4

Answer by mamita4 at 12:32 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I have been wanting to do something with my husband and 19 month old as well. So far, I havent come up with anything, but I will be interested in seeing the responses you get!

I have taken my son to relay for life and we walked for a while. My MIL passed away of cancer, so we hung a sign to his stroller that said "I'm strolling in memory of Grandma Caroline." That was a really great thing to do as a family. There are many other "walks" like that that you can participate in as a family, too. (march of dimes, Walk for Autism, Walk for Food Allergy awareness, etc.)
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 9:06 AM on May. 15, 2009

• What a wonderful idea! Most volunteering opportunities are not open for kids under 12. What you can do, and will love, is go to a senior home and "adopt" some grandparents, or just go and visit with the elderly for a few hours a day. Most children don't know and don't appreciate older people and this is a great way to get your child started.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:17 AM on May. 15, 2009