Can you get allergies all of a sudden?

I mean all my life I was good and now in my 40's I start having this sneezing, coughing, teary eyes I mean you name it. I can not stand it. Is it possible for it to creep up on you when you never even had it in your past? It makes me MAD!!!
}:[

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Health

• unfortunately, yes :(
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 11:53 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I think you can develop them over time due to exposure.
    20hockeymom5

Answer by 20hockeymom5 at 11:54 PM on May. 14, 2009

• yes
    My son is almost 4 years old and start with allergies, I took him to the doctor and he said that anyone can start with allergies at any time of their lives. (I didn;t know that either)
    sami7jami8

Answer by sami7jami8 at 11:55 PM on May. 14, 2009

• you could be exposed to something new. I never had allergies then found out I had mold in the apt that was causing me problems.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:19 AM on May. 15, 2009

• yes! growing up I was not allergic to anything. Now I have seasonal tree allergies. I developed them in my late 20s.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:30 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Allergies are a learned response. The symptoms that you describe could also be from a food sensitivity. Are you having any digestive problems: heartburn, gas, bloating, constipation, diarrhea?
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:58 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Yes. I have more allergies now then when I was a kid and I swear my hayfever/flower allergies get worse every year. It sucks.
    My son is horrible allergic to cats. He had a major reaction when he was 5 (his whole face swelled up and he broke out in hives). But we had cats the first year or so of his life and even after the cats were gone our house was covered in left over cat fur. Then we moved a few years later and he was suddenly severely allergic. Just like that. Now if he even gets near cat fur he has a reaction. We moved back to the house that had the cats in it and brought a box up from the basement. He sat in the box and minutes later his eyes were swelling shut and his face was bright red and itchy. I have to keep benadryl on hand at all times.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:12 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I have problems with day to day things due to allergies never dreamed of that being the problem I thought I was having panic atcaks. LOL I found a Dr. that understood that I am not a head case all the way.
    mandyandthree

Answer by mandyandthree at 8:49 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Yes you can, I am only 29 but last year I started getting allergies. Its awful. But my doctor put me on singulair and I've been doing really well.
    suzyb1980

Answer by suzyb1980 at 8:53 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Sadly, yes.  It happens all the time.  My first son had allergies from the beginning.  My little one has developed them in the last month.  It came on very suddenly and we thought it was a cold until it would disappear and the "attacks" would occur randomly for 10-15 minutes here and there several times a day.  He's even had 2-3 days with no symptoms and then they return.  It's very distressing and puzzling.  I hope you find out what you're allergic to quickly.  Testing can really help you learn what to avoid to ease your symptoms. 

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 9:04 AM on May. 15, 2009