40 percent of what race our locked up in the penitentury?aka :jail

I saw the whyy shpw about this this evening and felt so sad for these guys with the car industries closing in LA back in 1965 in LA they ad no way to provide for their families and chose the wrong path(crack)! The only way they know showing their kids how to be a man now is by being tough in a gang because dad is locked up for ususally non violent things. They are misguided this wiser gentleman said , this is so sad!
answer is African Americans
The thing that stuck out at me was so many more people are being unemployed and have no jobs this problem is likely to grow! We need to let the non violent dads that have recovered back home to be dads to their babies!??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 PM on May. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• Criminals are in jail for a reason,and there is NO excuse for committing crimes. We all have issues,we dont all join gangs and bully and kill people to get money. No one to blame but themselves. Be a man and get a job even if its minimum wage at a fast food place.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I don't agree with you anonymous. Not everyone in jail or prison are gang members are murderers. The thing is that other race's commit crimes too, it is just that the laws are set up to make it easier for people of certain races, ethnicities, and lower poverty levels, to go to jail, and/or have longer prison sentences.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on May. 15, 2009

• *or
    Anonymous

• This is such a complicate issue; sociologists spend decades writing about this.
    Some of the major factors are: racial and class discrimination (if you don't believe me: compare the sentences for powder cocaine, used most by whites, to crack cocaine, used mostly by blacks); "trickle down" economics; upwardly mobile blacks leaving poor areas without role models; the breakdown of the family unit; the cycle of poverty can be nearly impossible to break out of, especially if those in it truly have no idea of what is out there; a lack of equalized funding for our schools; low teacher salaries. The list of problems is long and I have no idea where the list of solutions is.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:03 AM on May. 15, 2009

• you do know most voilent crime is committed within one's own race right? Black on black, white on white. Sorry there's no excuse to commit a crime EVER! And to go unpunished for it in my eyes shows your kids it's okay to do illegal things cause you get away with it. My best friend is in jail now for writing 30,000 dollars worth of bad checks. Cause hey the first few she got away with. She's white by the way and yes deserves to be there. Her 5 kids will tell you that. A lot of people are in jail cause hey they were taught no better. PERIOD! I have heard women when I lived in Trenton tell the school that they can't wai tuntil their kids started selling drugs so they could afford nice things. Yeah way to be a parent there huh? I had a friend get shot in the head and killed for his car and the parents of the two young black men that killed him try to sue the cops for ending
    their lives after a high speed chase and them shooting
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:40 AM on May. 15, 2009

• at cops cause well how dare the cops kill their sons cause all they wanted was my friends car. Onew they couldn't afford themselves. Yes they actually said that at the trial. Poor parents usually lead to poor kids.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:41 AM on May. 15, 2009

• "If you suffer your people to be ill-educated, and their manners to be corrupted from their infancy, and then punish them for those crimes to which their first education disposed them, what else is to be concluded from this, but that you first make thieves and then punish them."
    ~ Sir Thomas Moore "Utopia"

You know, I think that says it all... I couldn't say it any better myself! The sad part is that book was written in 1516... Here we are in 2009 and still can't get it any better... How sad!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:56 AM on May. 15, 2009