What do you think about the following MSN.COM article about Intl adoption?

I wanted to post on the hotlist, but I guess that's gone so the link is below for your comments.

onethentwins

Asked by onethentwins at 12:02 AM on May. 15, 2009 in Adoption

• I think that there are issues with IA. It is proven- why is Guatemala closed? why the scandals in China with daughters stolen out of villages?
    Do I think everyone is corrupt?-no. But agencies should be accountable for the actions and dealings with countries. PAP need to be smart about who they are working with and the ethics of the organization.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on May. 16, 2009

• http://www.slate.com/id/2217608/?Gt1=38001
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 12:02 AM on May. 15, 2009

• There are too many generalizations in it and not enough real information...especially about Chinese adoption... Slate.com is NOT known for their amazing journalist skills when it comes to IA.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 7:36 AM on May. 15, 2009

• No citing of FACTS from anything or anyone reputable. Just unfounded and across the board generalizations that I KNOW are not true on such a large scale. For anyone to do just a little international travel, and you soon realize the plight of kids in developing nations. This kind of talk makes me angry because these kids NEED families and this kind of thing discourages folks with misinformation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Anyone who will believe that article must not have their own brain cells. Common sense says that EVERY country has children who need a loving home. Do some things happen wrongly, yes. Do they happen in the majority of situations, NO. Go on the photolistings and look at the waiting children wasting away in situations that will change the world in such negative ways. Look in the eyes of children in orphanages who have never had love. Then say that people shouldn't adopt internationally, and you are a fool. We as adults need to use our own brains and quit letting over generalized and negative media affect our ability to think on our own and show human compassion. PITIFUL!
    mommy9

Answer by mommy9 at 11:08 AM on May. 15, 2009

• The article is not denying the fact that every country has children who need loving homes what it's saying is that the children who are available are generally not the ones who people interested in adoption are looking for. All it's saying is that the demand for healthy infants and children under five years of age is far greater then the supply which is leading to kidnapping and corruption.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 11:57 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I have known for quite some time that there are major issues with IA - and many thousands of healthy children are stolen from their homes. To deny that is awful. Yes there are children in need of homes. But the demand for healthy children out weigh the demand for children who are sick, have developmental issues, and need a good family with resources. So to take a child who is healthy and one, let her live in a center for three years, and in come Americans willing to buy her. Yeah, believe what you want but it does happen.
    Anonymous

• Anon 1:22-

I wonder if you have been involved in IA at all??
    98% of my online pals on 8 different adoption forums have adopted SN and bypassed NSN children. As a matter of fact, in China right now, there is no shortage of parents requesting a SN child..and guess what? They are competing for a child.
    Oh, and the remark about buying a baby.... don't even get me started on that one! That is one of the most disgusting, asinine, insulting comments ever. I dare you to EVER tell my daughter that I bought her. There would be no doubt that Mama Bear would be on you in a heartbeat. That is so demeaning to say about a child.
    It amazes me just how cruel people can be about IA....
    Yeah, there are some drawbacks, but there are in foster-adopt, and DIA as well... The creeps come out once IA is brought up.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 2:37 PM on May. 15, 2009

• mcginnis, sadly the creeps come out on cafemom nomatter if we talk about the works of Mother Teresa. Any moron can own a computer and get online to run off at the mouth about things they obviously know nothing about, except what propaganda they blindly believe.
    Anonymous

• Ask my daughter about being "BOUGHT" as she struggles to catch up with peers after wasting away in a hell hole orphanage for four years. Ask her what she thinks of the opportunity to eat and sleep safely without someone coming in the room to molest her at night? Was she stolen? Well, I doubt it since she was not born in "perfect" condition in the eyes of the ignorant.
    Anonymous