My two month old has horrid cradle cap.

What can I do at home to help clear it up?

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 12:15 AM on May. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Heat up some olive oil jusw warm & massage it in the head & use a baby comb to rub scales away I used to leave the olive oil on for awhile
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on May. 15, 2009

• use baby shampoo and a soft tooth brush to clean head once a day dry with a towel and apply a&d oinment (RUB IT IN RUB IT IN) little circles like a massage... :)
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 12:19 AM on May. 15, 2009

• You can use baby oil

Apply some baby oil on the scalp and leave it there for awhile then once you give him a bath use the towel or a soft brush to remove the dry flakes

We did this with our daughter and it worked great. Hope it works
    Mommy2Mariah

Answer by Mommy2Mariah at 12:21 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I just washed his hair and lightly used my nails to rub his head while it was soapy...that helped a lot. Then, while I was b/f...I would pick at it. It doesn't hurt and it was a time killer. lol. I did the same thing to my daughter and both my kids are fine. There's nothing wrong with picking it!!!!!!!!!
    Kaytlynsmommy

Answer by Kaytlynsmommy at 12:22 AM on May. 15, 2009

• hahahaha I always try to resist picking at it during breastfeeding. I'm glad I am not the only one.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 12:26 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Use oil (baby oil or olive oil) and rub it gently into the scalp. Then use a fine-toothed comb to remove the scales. Don't stimulate the scalp or rub too much because this will get the glands all worked up. Some people find that washing the hair more often helps while other people find that washing the hair more often makes it worse. My son has horrendous cradle cap which resolved after I did the oil and comb method a few times.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:35 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I have also used baby lotion. Cover the hair and let sit for 10 minutes then gently scrape the scales away. My youngest had it well over a year. It wasn't too bad so we didn't worry much about it.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:42 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I have had this issue with my first son (really bad too) I found out when he was around 2 months old that if you use Cetafil (CREAM) and put it on there head every couple hoursjust wait about 1 hour or so after applying it and then try and brush the lose skin off which usually comes off pretty easy and keep doing it for a couple of days and it works wonders ..The worse it is the longer it will take to get it cleared up..
    With my second son I used it on him since the day he was born almost 12 wks ago and no problems AT ALL.. I found out that nurses in hospitals (pre-mature babies etc) use this creme.. It's worth every penny..
    Hope that helps!
    truckchickie

Answer by truckchickie at 3:40 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I didn't do anything for my son until he was about 7 months old. It doesn't bother him at all to hve the cradle cap... I don't know why it's such a big deal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:46 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I used aquaphor. Just rub the loation on. Cleared up in a day, but it wasn't a bad case. I've heard that baby oil works too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on May. 15, 2009