What are your suggestions for a punishment for a child who never seems to care when he is in trouble?

My son is 2 and nothing seems to work when I discipline him. If I send him to time out he does not care, if I spank him, he does not care, if I take a toy away, he could care less.

I am out of ideas. What are your suggestions for a punishment for a child who never seems to care when he is in trouble?

rockinmomof2boy

Asked by rockinmomof2boy at 12:27 AM on May. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Make him do something he HATES doing (cleaning his room, maybe) or take away something he does care about.
    NicMorgan

Answer by NicMorgan at 12:28 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Be consistent. If all else fails, lay him in his bed and tell him he has to go to sleep. Make sure you are consistent though, so he don't think you are kidding around.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:31 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Think of the thing he likes most...the thing he asks for most....and take it away from him. If that doesn't work, I don't know what to tell ya. I have one of my own like that. (she's not that bad anymore...she's 3 1/2 now) Nothing worked for her either. I would go to spank her and she would say "only one time!" Like she didn't even care she was getting spanked!! Crazy child. The one thing that worked okay for us was time out. She HATES to sit and do nothing. She's VERY active. Just try different things. Oh, I know!!!! Make him eat spinach!!! Kids HATE spinach! lol. Good luck!
    Kaytlynsmommy

Answer by Kaytlynsmommy at 12:33 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Read this book magic 1, 2, 3, by thomas Phalan until you read it try time out in a dark (but safe ) place with no out source . my son goes in the bathroom lights out door shut for 2 minutes
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 12:35 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I suggest you read : The New Strong Willed Child by James Dobson... it should help. Pre-warned it is slightly christian at times, although I am not a christian and you can ignore most of the bible quotes and move on to take the better learning experiences from the book.
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 12:41 AM on May. 15, 2009

• just have patience.. with my sone its been almost 2 years of constant ballte over punishments.. and finally hes acting better.... he dosent care if he gets spanked.. if he makes a huge mess he just cleans it up then goes to time out on his own... just let them KNOW what theya re doing is bad!
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 1:13 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Find what they care about. My 4 yr old stepson goes into daydream mode in timeouts, if we take a toy away he just plays with something else. BUT...if I tell him that as long as he behaves he'll get to stay up 10 minutes late. Using that extra 10 minutes as a lever works like a charm!
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 1:15 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Why would she have to ignore bible quotes ? That's your agenda not hers. Bible qoutes are helpful , hang in there and take it one day at a time. K
    themommy160

Answer by themommy160 at 7:59 AM on May. 15, 2009

• i agree with themommy160, people dont realize how important and helpful bible scriptures are to the family. God gave us those guidelines to follow and there are guidelines for raising children in the bible. Follow them and you'll be fine. oh, and have patience.
    Lvincent777

Answer by Lvincent777 at 10:00 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I belive that she was suggesting to "ignore the bible quotes" if in fact she isn't Christian.... we have to be considerate of all beliefs, so she was telling her it was bible based BUT that the book is helpful otherwise.

Laura,
    If you come to the Margarita date Sunday.... I'd love to talk about it with you because I also have a strong willed child.... :)

Hope to see you Sunday.... my number is posted in the group if you wanna text me!
    LoganAndKennedy

Answer by LoganAndKennedy at 2:35 PM on May. 15, 2009