What is your punishment for lying?

My stepson lies all the time. Mostly little stuff to keep himself out of trouble or so he doesn't have to do things. If he lies about doing his chores, Dad gives him an extra chore. If he lies about doing something that would get him into trouble, he gets his video games taken away. None of this is seeming to faze him since he is still doing it regularly. I know his mom lets him get away with murder, and he lies all the time there with no consequence, but he is only there two nights a week. My husband and I are very consistent, and I have the same rules that Dad does when it is just me and son. I am at a loss and we are looking for something potentially more effective. Thanks.

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:49 AM on May. 15, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I, myself can't stand lies. My daughter will tell you the one thing I hate is someone lying. My daughter is also QUEEN LIAR lol./ I started off with the bar of soap as punishment, but she got to the point of being okay with that. My daughter has to have long extended punishment to get something locked into her head. So now when she is caught in a lie which she did at her baseball game last week. Told the coach she was going to vomit and couldn't play. When we got in the car, she said I just wanted to go home and play.... WELL she got dinner and had to go to her room the remainder of the night with no toys, no tv, and no radio. And it was like 5:30 pm... Poor kid, but for the first time we've gone 1 whole week with no lies.
    suzyb1980

Answer by suzyb1980 at 8:57 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I really despise lying. My son started to say little white lies here and there, I finally pulled him aside and let him know that if he continued to lie, even if they were little, that it was really going to affect our relationship (and his relationship with everyone else, for that matter) because I was not ever going to know if he was telling me the truth or not. I let him know that it is a bad habit, that can REALLY take over a persons life, and that it was important to stop it NOW. I reminded him that he needs to be "a man of his word", and that meant always telling the truth. Since then I have not caught him in any lies. I know that your situation is different, but maybe if your husband can have a "man-to-man" talk with him about the importance of honesty, it might help. Good luck.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 1:16 AM on May. 15, 2009

• A butt whoppen.
    yaffamommy

Answer by yaffamommy at 12:26 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Oh we have tried that. Getting spanked bothers him for all of about 5 minutes, then he could care less. My son is like SuzyB1980's daughter. It is something he has to remember for days for it to really sink in I think. I wonder if a strict grounding isn't what he needs. He has never been grounded, just grounded from video games or TV or whatever. Never actually grounded.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:35 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Either my kids don't lie much, or I'm not very good at catching them. The only time I can think of is with my 6 1/2 yo son. He will always tell you he flushed even though he didn't. I make him clean the toilet every time. We have a very clean toilet.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 7:10 PM on May. 15, 2009

• My mother used to let my brothers play with like my discman or my gameboy! Other times she would sit my cell phone in the middle of the living room coffee table and I'd just have to look at it and the fact that it was ringing and I couldn't use it! She'd even turn it over so I couldn't c who was callin. No land line phone either.

With boys I've noticed lies = work is pretty good! HARD WORK not dusting!:)
    mommyhero

Answer by mommyhero at 3:32 AM on May. 16, 2009