4 week old sleep pattern normal?

i have a 4 week old that sleeps about 6 hours per day. is this normal? she just has a really hard time getting to sleep although i can tell she is tired. i dont know what to do. my girlfriend has a baby the same age that sleeps everywhere she takes it. my daughter would start to cry after 15 minutes of being out. when she is awake she needs to be constantly rocked. not holding her on the couch. standing up and rocked the entire time. i just want to know this is normal? i dont care about myself, only her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on May. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• oh yes luv quite normal you got yourself an energetic smart little girl she is probably going to be a night owl like my lil girl still is and you have to really wear these kinds out with extra stimulation their little bodys and brains are so highstrung and intelligent for their age! Does she seem highstrung or jittery that is what my daughter was like since birth a little hyper, but very smart never tired of learning new things and good listeners and very very very intelligent!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:55 AM on May. 15, 2009

• My son was the same way. Have you ever heard of colic? My son had it bad and he would cry A LOT! I used Mylocon (i'm not sure if that's how u spell it). It helped a little bit. There's also this one called Gripe Water. I heard that it's really good, but I could never find it when I needed it. I currently saw it at a Walgreens. It's a light green box with Winnie the Pooh on it! Hope this helps!
    jen_and_pat

Answer by jen_and_pat at 1:55 AM on May. 15, 2009

• YOU SHOULD TALK TO YOUR PEDIATRICIAN, MAYBE IS COLIC. AND MAYBE SHE IS SLEEPING MORE THAN YOU REALIZE, BABIES NEED REST AND IF SHE IS NOT SLEEPING WELL JUST MAKE APPOINTMENT WITH YOUR DOCTOR.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 AM on May. 15, 2009

• If she crys alot then I would think she needs something more than what she is getting,
    some of it may depend on if she is a formula fed baby vs. breastfed just because of the constipation and gas issues that can happen but if she is not crying all the time, I think its because she is not gettting enough play time to get her tierd.
    My first son, Brett was that way..
    When ever I had a hard time getting my kids to sleep I put them in a swing with a mobile attached.
    ..they do get tired and soon fall asleep to the rocking motion etc.

My dr didn't recommend my kids to sleep too long until he was around 6 wks old and today my youngest is almost 12 wks old today and sleeps over 10 hrs at night and during the day I put him in his bouncer chair or swing, he seems to be pretty happy with either of those but some kids have to adjust to it and just want alittle more swaddling than others.
    Hope that helps alittle.
    Best Wishes
    truckchickie

Answer by truckchickie at 3:16 AM on May. 15, 2009

• No child is the same, but I know with my baby she would go through stages when she would be cranky and not let me put her down! and then a week later she would be just fine laying down on her own. your child might be colicky but maybe it is just a phase. Even if she is colicky it doesn't last forever. Hang in there and try anything and everything! Sometimes I had to run the bath and lay her in her bouncer next to it to get her to sleep. Try a few things and you'll start to find out what helps your baby (and you)
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 12:35 PM on May. 15, 2009