What do you think of gender-based abortions?

The concept is the parents decide to abort their baby because it is not the gender that they wanted. For example, they wanted a boy, but find out the mom is pregnant with a girl. Then abort the baby because it she isn't the right gender.
I am interested in what the pro-choice people have to say on this one. We all know what the pro-lifers opinion will be, right? = )
Do you think this should be legal?
Is it morally right?
Is it any worse than an abotion for other reasons?
Or is it acceptable and the parents choice?
Explain the reasonings you have.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on May. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on May. 15, 2009

• DO UNBORN BABIES FEEL PAIN?
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_141312.html
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 1:44 AM on May. 15, 2009

• hmmm. well, i think that if you are far enough along to know what the gender is then you shouldnt be allowed to abort. I'm pro choice. But i think that choice comes with certian limits. These limits include things like time frames and situational circumstances. ...of course, it also wouldnt be the best idea for the government to determine who gets to have an abortion and who doesnt. So the way i think it should be will probably never manifest into reality.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:58 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I guess I'm really naive. Does gender abortion really happen?
    jkt747

Answer by jkt747 at 2:02 AM on May. 15, 2009

• ...of course gender abortion really happens. China has been doing it forever. So have many other cultures. It's not uncommon or unheard of in places where it is possible to do so. Even in places where is now illegal (like india) it still happens regularly.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:07 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I think that is barbaric. I realize this is a very sensitive topic & everyone has their opinions & I respect that but I have to say from my point of view that's just wrong! The only time I think a abortion should be considered is when a woman has serious health problems that put her life at risk, the baby has serious health issues/defects, or a woman is raped, incest/etc. Even then its touchy for me but for women to go having abortions due to undesired gender or because she couldn't keep her legs closed or use birth control is just immoral. Think about it seriously....If you don't want to be pregnant then use birth control there are a ton of methods out there but don't create a life @ your satisfaction & then kill it because you didn't want the responsibilities or you weren't satisfied w/the gender!? You cant seriously agree that's moral?
    whispers2005

Answer by whispers2005 at 2:28 AM on May. 15, 2009

• It's horrible.

I am definitely pro-choice. I wouldn't have an abortion, but I'm not about to condone taking the rights of other women away, either. But his? No way. Just as pointless and barbaric as a partial-birth abortion. Most people don't find out the gender of their babies until 18-20 weeks, MAYBE 16. Isn't that already out of the first trimester?

I don't think ANY abortions should be allowed outside of first trimester, unless it's for medical reasons. But that's just me..I wanted a girl. I'm having a boy. But am I going to abort my child because it isn't the gender my fiance and I wanted? Hell no! We may not have another chance at kids, and he didn't want any in the first place. He would have been fine with an abortion, but knows I wouldn't have one. So, we hoped for a girl. That isn't happening. Oh well. It's still a child to love.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 4:14 AM on May. 15, 2009

• OMW?! I had no idea such a thing existed. I should have known I guess; I'm so naive sometimes. I'm against abortion period, but to abort on the basis of gender is just reprehensible. It should be illegal; it IS immoral; and I think it's worse than having an abortion based on the mother's possible death for instance. It is TOTALLY unacceptable. I can't believe people even entertain the thought. Every baby is a gift from our Father. And He has a reason for everything; I'm sure gender is no exception.

ProudTexan71

Answer by ProudTexan71 at 8:47 AM on May. 15, 2009

• It's a slippery slope. If a mother can consciously abort a baby because of gender, she has serious ethical issues. No one I care to associate with.  I am sure there will be some progressives who may even want taxpayer money to fund someday... Slippery slope...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:53 AM on May. 15, 2009

• This is already a slippery slope. First off, I will say that I am pro-choice. Whether I agree with abortion is not relevant to another woman's circumstances. I don't believe in legislating morals, as this fails miserably.

The fact is, I am sure it already exists here. A woman can have a late term abortion if she has a medical reason for it. 'Medical reason' is not defined. Women can say that they are suicidal, or have PPD or depression that causes anxiety. Whatever the reason. And because abortion is a business, there will always be someone that will oblige the request.

I don't believe in abortion due to gender preference, but I also don't need to take that burden with me on judgement day.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:33 AM on May. 15, 2009