Are there any women on here with a published book? Or do any of you know someone who was published?

I'm asking because I've always been a bit of a writer and it's always been a great goal of mine to become a published author. I'm currently working on a book and I'm curious about the process of getting something published. Any info is greatly, greatly appreciated, thank you! I wasn't sure where to post this lol, sorry if this isn't really where it should be.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 1:28 AM on May. 15, 2009 in Money & Work

• Ladies go to LULU.COM. It is a self publishing company that will help you get started on your first book. You an customize the book any way you want and also get a ISBN number so that you can approcah local bookstores about selling you book. You can order as few or as many copies as you want. And if you prefer to only order one finished copy, you can then more easily approach potential book publishers to take on your book, as you have a fully finished copy. I am currently working on my childrens book on this site , and it is a very user friendly website that walks you through each step. I highly recommend it. A another mom told me about it, and that is where she gets her books published, and they are very hugh quality. Good luck!
    WishyClarkson

Answer by WishyClarkson at 10:01 AM on May. 15, 2009

• well, i was in a creative writting class at my local college. He had been published in a few magazines and was in the process of getting his first book published. From what i understand it CAN be difficult to acheive and may cost some money depending on who is publishing you.
    But i dont remember much of the details behind it. Do you have a local college or university near you. I would give them a call and ask an English teacher or something of along those lines.
    One of my ex bestfriends is currently trying to publish her book. It can take a long time and you have to send your work in to many places (one place at a time if i remember correctly). GOOD LUCK! i'm also a writer and would love to have some of my stuff published.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:50 AM on May. 15, 2009

• ms.swickle is a cafemom. she publishes childrens books called swickle the pickle. Too cute. Look her up maybe she can help. or holler back at me.
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 3:45 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Haha.. You and I have many similar goals! I am in the process of working on my "lifes work" which will probibly take me the next 30 years to finish. I'm writing an encyclopedia type series but they will all be religi, myth and paranorma based... I'm calling them "Encyclopedia Unknown"...

I do know a few published authors. I am published but only in magazines and that was YEARS ago. So I'm not sure I much help at the moment. You can always self publish... Of coarse I don't know how that works either... Oh, well, guess I'm no help!

ttys!
    Sabrina

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:47 AM on May. 15, 2009

• yup, I got published at www.lulu.com as well

Answer by admckenzie at 10:38 AM on May. 15, 2009

• You should join the cafemom group:

Moms who love fantasy novels, movies, and art

I know for sure one person in that group has a published book she wrote and self published. I bought, reviewed and have kept in contact with her about it. She is working on book two.

I know another person that has a couple of published books. It's one of my good friends mother whom I chat with often when i go over to her house. I know to self-publish can be pricey, if you can get a publisher to do it then you're cutting your cost down a lot.

I would also look up online, I know that there are a couple of forums I've been on that have informed writers of the process of getting their work published, can't seem to remember their names or I'd link them but do a Google search and see what comes up. I've been told more than a couple of times in my life to write a book, however if I do it will be a slow process. Good Luck to you!
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 1:05 PM on May. 15, 2009

• My mom published with Xlibris and she has been very satisfied with their service. They took care of everything about my mom's book - from the production, editing, lay-out to marketing. I am currently working on a book and hope to finish it soon. I will publish with Xlibris too.
    graysey

Answer by graysey at 10:26 PM on May. 27, 2009