Lonely, bored, and just plain sick of it! (? for SAHM)

Does anyone else get extremely bored and irritated with being a SAHM? I love my kids to death, but lately I've started getting depressed and feeling all alone. I don't have many friends cause I don't get out much, so I'm basically by myself with my kids almost all the time. My kids are 5 and 2, so the age difference makes it hard for me to think of things to do with them that they will both enjoy. I'm stuck. Someone please help! Or at least come snap me out of it!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on May. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm also a SAHM and I deal with the very same issues. I feel very alone all the time. No friends, just me & my DD. I have a feeling that there are more just like us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Find a playgroup! Try meetup.com. I'm not technically at SAHM, I sub two days a week, but the rest of the time I'm home with my daughter. The more you get out and do stuff, the less stir crazy you'll be.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:00 AM on May. 15, 2009

• yea im the same way sometimes...its hard to get out alot with kids . my husband is pretty much my only friend and he is going back to iraq so ill be alone...but if you need to talk just send me a message
    KYLEESMOMMY445

Answer by KYLEESMOMMY445 at 2:25 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I love being a sahm but it is hard sometimes, my thing is i feel like i never get my alone time. I am always with my son my hubby works all day and comes home around 6-7pm and goes to bed. I sometimes wish i could go shoping (for me!) by myself. I dont have many friends either and with i could find someone by me so we could go to the park or the mall or somthing and the kids could play!
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 3:08 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I know how you feel. I hit those rough patches from time to time. I love being a sahm and getting to watch my kids hit every milestone. Here between the 5 kids, SO, and my online classes I never get me time. I have a few friends but they have busy schedules filled with kids, dhs, and other things. I write. That is my release. And I read. When the kids nap three days a week I read, NO CHORES, NO SCHOOL! I curl up in a ball on the couch and read. SO comes in at 6 and is usually passed out before I can get the kids to bed.. I have to be honest there are days that I resent him for not helping me... Especially now that he has weekends off and chooses to sleep them away or take the baby to see his parents... Hole nother issue lol. But yeah I think we all have these down times so to speak.
    SuthrnPrincess

Answer by SuthrnPrincess at 3:33 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I am a stay at home mom......It is tough at times........My suggestion would to be for you to go for walks with your children .......Take them to the park.....just get out of the house as much as possible....Staying in the house is not healthy for anyone! Fresh air will help to relieve stress and put you in a better mood....If you can not go to the park or for a walk just go and sit outside....another thing that may help you is to start exercising whether using dvd's, television etc...You need a release......lol
    mirakoboy

Answer by mirakoboy at 6:33 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I know how you feel momma! Expecially since we are in a rural community, there are no meetup groups, or play dates, or any of that other stuff that everyone always says to get involved in!! My kids have the age difference that yours do to, so I understand that. Truthfuly what I do is find a good book. Let the housework go for a couple days, and read a book to get my mind off of everything.
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 7:25 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Yes I feel that way all the time. In fact I'm on kind of a permanent semi-strike. I'm so tired of being taken advantage of and being the freaking maid that I refuse to do it any more. And it's not just my kids that cause me headaches. I'm constantly yelling at them to not leave their clothes all over and I turn around and my husband leaves his clothes all over the house and refuses to put his dirty stuff in the hamper (he tosses it next to his dresser in a big pile when the hamper is just feet away). It's nonstop. I do laundry when we are out of clothes and the dishes when the sink gets filled but I do little else.
    Luckily my older kids are in school all day and when they are home they are outside playing (they are 8, 7 and 6). Mostly I just have to watch my 3yo and she is Miss Independent. It was a lot harder when the other kids were babies.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:21 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Go for walks, to the park, to church.......these places are good for meeting other moms. Now is a good time to teach them to garden.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:21 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Get out of the house! Go for a walk, go to a park, take a picnic lunch somewhere, go to a museum, go to the library, look for free or cheap events for kids in your area, get a kids cookbook from the library (my favorite is Pretend Soup) and start cooking. Make clay or playdough. Help your kids write and illustrate a book. teach them to do laundry. If there is public transit where you live, take a bus or train ride. Find another mom or two to trade child care with so you can get some time for yourself.
    This is what I came up with off the top of my head.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:10 AM on May. 15, 2009