The Bottle

My 14 month old son just wont give up the bottle. When he turned one we introduced the sippy cup, but all he did was throw it down. Since he is so small for his age (19.11 pounds) his dad is worried he wont get enough to drink since he wont drink from a sippy cup. Right now the only thing I can do is give him a bottle, but I know it's bad for his teeth, and will be harder the longer I wait to take him off of it. Any suggestions???

ShiningStar24

Asked by ShiningStar24 at 3:04 AM on May. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• bottles are better than sippy cups..sippy cups make teeth grow in crooked and give kids buck teeth...i would stick with bottles
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:40 AM on May. 15, 2009

• ignore the poster ahead of me........
    keep giving him the sippy cup, even try ones with a straw like give it to him ALL day long so he will get used to it
    bottle needs to go
    good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:32 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Don't worry about it too much. I just got my 2 year old off the bottle. I gave him the sippy during the day and the bottle for sleeping. Once he was used to that I started giving him a bottle and sippy of water for sleeping. I slowly decreased the amount in the bottle until he just had the sippy. Now he sleeps with water in a sippy cup. Good luck! I like taking my time with the switch.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:44 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Keep offering the sippy cup with water, and start cutting back on bottles. Give him calcium rich foods like beans and greens: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/strong_bones.html
    Give him foods with good fats, like avocado, egg, hummus with olive oil; sprinkle ground flax in cereal, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:09 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Hi there, it's me Jaime 911 from Gardner! I am currently trying to take my little guy off the bottle too, he is also a bit under weight, 19 pounds. I was worried about the same thing and still am some days. I do think the longer you let him have it the harder it will be to get him off it though. My son's doc told me at his last visit to try to get him off it fairly soon. At first my little guy would do the same thing as yours and just throw the cup down and he hardley drank any but then more I give it to him the better he is getting at drinking more. I try to give it to him when I know he is hungry too and that helps. Also this is wierd but he drinks more if I am not in the room or he can't see me. If he can see me he just throws his cup to try to start a game. Try a bunch of different sippy cups and maybe you will find the one he likes. My little guys just has a hard time because he doesn't know to tip the cup. Good luck!
    Jaime911

Answer by Jaime911 at 3:20 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Sippy cups are bad for the teeth, and frankly if your kid is not having teeth problems and you don't put juice in the bottle it should be all right, most of the worlds baby's are breastfed the first two years of life, so with that logic, he is not too old for the bottle, and he sounds not ready to ween. but juice whether it's in a sippy cup or a bottle is bad for the teeth. If he is addicted to juice, perhaps you can switch him to a xylitol sweetner (they sell this in health stores) supposidly it helps prevent decay.
    Imamom4sure

Answer by Imamom4sure at 8:57 PM on May. 15, 2009