How can I adjust my infant's sleep schedule?

My 3 1/2 week old has taken to a pretty regular pattern of waking at 10 or 11 at night, and staying up and being fussy/colicky until 3 or 4 in the morning. Then, she'll sleep until 11 or noon (aside from feedings), wake for a few hours, and then sleep from mid afternoon all the way until fussy time begins at 10 pm again. It's frustrating enough having her be so fussy for so long, but to do so in the middle of the night makes it so much worse! If I could somehow adjust it backwards so that she is awake and fussy from 6 til midnight or something, that would be much better - at least my husband would be awake! Also, is it normal for infants to be awake this long? I thought they were supposed to nap after almost every feeding, not be awake for 6 hour stretches!!

leahs_mom_kate

Asked by leahs_mom_kate at 4:38 AM on May. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you notice if she may have alot of gas? My daughter was fussy after feedings and we figured out that the forumla i had her on was to harsh on her belly and her doctor switch her to enfamil gentalease you may want to think about switching her over to that. Speak with the doctor first and tell them you wish to try that and im sure they will agree with that. GL and i hope for you to get sleep soon.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 4:56 AM on May. 15, 2009

• It won't happen over night but... At night keep it dark, keep it quiet-only whisper, don't play, and I read somewhere that eye contact with mom makes babies heart beats go nuts, so avoid eye contact as much as possible. During the day do the opposite keep the lights on, be loud-even during naps since it will teach her to sleep through a lot, and play with her. At 3 1/2 weeks it is normal for babies to have their night and days mixed up still. Maybe even make a routine. Once we started doing all this it didn't take long til my daughter knew night time is for sleeping. Good luck hope any of this helps!
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 12:28 PM on May. 15, 2009