what age do you start using silverware with your kids?

my son is 1 yr old and im trying to get him to learn how to use a fork and spoon. what age did you start teaching your kids?

lululovexox

Asked by lululovexox at 8:00 AM on May. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• with my first I started at 1 as well took him a while to figure it out but he sure did like playing around LOL. I have an almost 10 month old now who is really independent and I have already started with him he loves to hold on to the spoon and help put it in his mouth
    JessicaNichole

Answer by JessicaNichole at 8:05 AM on May. 15, 2009

• hmm...I know that my son was using a fork much better than a spoon sooner. I think he was around a year old when he perfected it. And then probably 13-14 months when he was using the spoon really well. Just keep encouraging him, that is what my husband and I am sure he was very very proud of him self each and every time he poked something with his fork or every time something actually made it to his mouth on his spoon!!
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 8:32 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I never 'taught' my daughter. I just gave them to her from the beginning. Then I would sit where we could see each other eating. She just liked copying me, so it really didn't take long.
    almostcrazee

Answer by almostcrazee at 8:32 AM on May. 15, 2009

• We started Quintin around 1, right after he started getting tired of finger foods. I've noticed that spearing things with forks is easier than getting stuff on a spoon for him.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 8:33 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Around a year old was when I started giving it to her, I showed her how to hold it and how to use it a few times but really just let her hold it and play with it to get used to it. Don't stress out if they're not holding it right or shoveling it into their mouths. At this age you want them to learn what it's for, once they get used to it then you can teach them how to hold it properly all the time. Work at one thing at a time, it won't confuse baby or stress you out as much if you do.
    mommabear2008

Answer by mommabear2008 at 8:36 AM on May. 15, 2009

• As soon as they show interest. I really don't know at what age my children started using them.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 8:41 AM on May. 15, 2009

• As soon as they could hold it. They didn't use it much at first, but once they start with the mimic stage they got it pretty quick!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 8:49 AM on May. 15, 2009

• All of my kids started holding a spoon while eating as soon as they wouldn't let me have complete control of the one I was feeding them with...around 7 months. When they started self feeding I always put a kiddie spoon or fork on their plate. Whether they used it or not was on them. My youngest was an expert with a spoon by the time she was 13 months. She could even eat soup without spilling. She had been self feeding since she was 8 months old and trying to use utensils since she was 9 months old so she had plenty of practice.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:12 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Both my kids were around a year old when I gave them a fork and spoon, their size and plastic of course. My 4 year old now love to help set the table by getting everyone their silverware. My 17 month old is still trying to use them. They start out just looking at them or playing with them, but watching them learn is fun. I was just happy that both my kids started to feed themselves some time after 1, I did not care if it was by hand or silverware. Yes, it may be messy, but it will all come out in the wash!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on May. 15, 2009

• About 1.
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 9:19 AM on May. 15, 2009